Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings:
I am close to placing an order for the M35. If anyone out there has one with Dynamic Damper Control I would like it hear some pros or Cons. My local SA was not high on the option but then he was really trying to get me to buy a car off the lot and unless there is a huge compelling reason not to, I plan to order and do PCD. This is the last item I need to decide on before negotiating my deal (10K lease).

I look forward to any comments about the option.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes I got the DDC, same name on the 'post forum. never drove one with it it came that way CA reminded me most of the performance cars have it. it added 6 dollars to the lease, the bigger hit was the moon roof and leather. Before I pulled the final trigger I sat in one with the same seats and made sure I could get comfortable. the day I test drove my back was out of wack. I think I am really going to like the not as low as my sedan feeling. I did a lot of my thoughts in this thread over in ask a dealer First time ordering a BMW first time ordering a BMW is the name good luck

·
Registered
394 Posts
I bought my last two BMWs with the dynamic dampers, and I like them. Neither was an X2, but I think the same observations apply to the X2. Fifty years ago Koni sold adjustable shocks, but the adjustments had to be made with a wrench, so that you could have firm shocks at the track and soft shocks the rest of the time. Now that can be done with the flick of a switch. I have come to bad pavement in New England in the spring and been glad that I could go all the way to the softness of the economy mode, and then I could switch to sport mode when the pavement became smoother. Even in sport mode, if the front wheels hit a bad bump, the the system responds so fast that the rear shock soften before those wheels reach the bump.

On the negative side, the dynamic dampers do change the road feel, and I think that the change makes it worse. Fortunately it is only slightly worse. These shocks are also more expensive. Still, I will buy them again.

I hope that this helps.

·
Running around in circles
3,629 Posts
I'm debating whether to get this option or not. I would get it but it's not available with the 20" wheel option :nono:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got it, my very poor butt dyno thinks it helps. My CA drove the car after break in and (shows how easy and fair the deal and how good the dealership is BMW Rochester) and he liked it. He also recommended it before we found the car since the only one they had on the lot was not to my liking. I also saved 1500 on the deal since I couldn't get anyone to order the car at invoice minus incentives but they would do a dealer trade. So I digress, I like it I drive in sport almost exclusively just did a down to NYC and Back trip 2 weeks ago and will be doing that again soon and I used comfort mode except in traffic. I also opted for no ACC since up here heated steering wheel was way more important. Mrs Rounderman's CRV has it and I really don't like it, I find it lulls you into a little less attention since you never get too close to the car ahead, sometime hard to gauge speed

Oh I can also be cheap so again no 20" wheels :bigpimp:

Will I get it again if the world and my finances allow when the lease is out, probably

good hunting

·
Running around in circles
3,629 Posts
I got it, my very poor butt dyno thinks it helps. My CA drove the car after break in and (shows how easy and fair the deal and how good the dealership is BMW Rochester) and he liked it. He also recommended it before we found the car since the only one they had on the lot was not to my liking. I also saved 1500 on the deal since I couldn't get anyone to order the car at invoice minus incentives but they would do a dealer trade. So I digress, I like it I drive in sport almost exclusively just did a down to NYC and Back trip 2 weeks ago and will be doing that again soon and I used comfort mode except in traffic. I also opted for no ACC since up here heated steering wheel was way more important. Mrs Rounderman's CRV has it and I really don't like it, I find it lulls you into a little less attention since yo never get too close to the car ahead, sometime hard to gauge speed

Oh I can also be cheap so again no 20" wheels :bigpimp:

Will I get it again if the world and my finances allow when the lease is out, probably

good hunting
Thanks for your input. I'm not too keen with adding more tech to the car. It's complicated already as is lol. The only reason I'm contemplating the DDC is to soften the ride a bit. I'm afraid the M sport suspension with 20" rims will be too stiff and jarring. German autobahn yes, North Jersey roads not so much :rofl:

Yes I hate ACC too and never use CC ever :snooze:

HAGWE

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Quick update, just did 692 miles over the weekend (down to NYC and back) mostly drove in comfort made a big difference on rough roads, I would throw it into sport in heavy traffic (better throttle response) and when I forgot to switch it back I could feel the difference when I realized the ride was a little harsher than in comfort. Enough of a difference that when I started hitting rougher road I remembered and in comfort it felt fine. As an aside got 32.5 MPG for the trip including some NYC traffic mostly 6-7 miles over the limit, hills etc. but you know what the terrain is like

I would say right now I would order DDC again

·
Registered
9 Posts
My M35i came with 19" wheels and the DDP, and I drive it pretty much always in Sport mode. I only go into Comfort when we get on forest roads and the like.

My wife and I both were a little worried about how stiff the car would ride after watching a few reviews, but it's much better than we were expecting. Yeah you can feel all the bumps in the road, but it's not THAT harsh. I would think anyone getting the M35i version of the X2 is already after a sportier feel, and I felt it lived up to that without being uncomfortable as a daily driver. If you want pillowy softness as you drive, a sports car like the M inspired series is the wrong way no matter which model IMVHO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts