Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about upgrading from my E90 to 2014 435 M Sport, and I'm really stuck between two choices. One with Dynamic handling package, and one without. I would like to know what exactly the DHP is (I know adaptive suspension and sport steering also I believe that the vehicle is a little lower with it). Without it does the vehicle still have the ability to switch into different driving modes (ex: sport, sport+ and comfort) and does it really make a huge difference to have. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
8,014 Posts
DHP gives the adaptive and adjustable shocks. You can control the firmness and they adapt to the road conditions. Without this option you still have the ability to adjust the transmission algorithm, steering and throttle sensitivity. A RWD MSpor comes lowered with the 704 Sport suspension. Adding the ZTP (track package gives you the DHP shocks, variable ratio steering rack and go flat high performance summer tires.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
I'm thinking about upgrading from my E90 to 2014 435 M Sport, and I'm really stuck between two choices. One with Dynamic handling package, and one without. I would like to know what exactly the DHP is (I know adaptive suspension and sport steering also I believe that the vehicle is a little lower with it). Without it does the vehicle still have the ability to switch into different driving modes (ex: sport, sport+ and comfort) and does it really make a huge difference to have. Thanks in advance
First off having Adaptive suspension your car is not lowered, the car will adapt to the driving environment the faster you drive the more the suspension tightens up, if you happen be in the mountains and driving the suspension will firm up. The adaptive suspension works in all modes, Eco Mode, Comfort, Sport and Sport +. When placed in Sport and Sport+ the suspension is firmer then in Eco Mode and Comfort.

The cars you looking for are they X drive? Just a FYI, if you are looking at cars that are X drive and have the sport package or m Sport package they will not have the sport suspension.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
DHP gives the adaptive and adjustable shocks. You can control the firmness and they adapt to the road conditions. Without this option you still have the ability to adjust the transmission algorithm, steering and throttle sensitivity. A RWD MSpor comes lowered with the 704 Sport suspension. Adding the ZTP (track package gives you the DHP shocks, variable ratio steering rack and go flat high performance summer tires.
Hey Michael, the OP is looking at 2014 435, so the car wont have Track Package.

·
Registered
174 Posts
First off having Adaptive suspension your car is not lowered
Sport suspension is 10mm lower, regardless of whether you have adaptive or not. On xdrive, adaptive suspension is available, but is not lowered due to requirements of the xdrive components.

[non-xdrive] standard < sport (-10mm) < adaptive (-10mm)

[xdrive] standard < adaptive

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Sport suspension is 10mm lower, regardless of whether you have adaptive or not. On xdrive, adaptive suspension is available, but is not lowered due to requirements of the xdrive components.

[non-xdrive] standard < sport (-10mm) < adaptive (-10mm)

[xdrive] standard < adaptive
Adaptive is not sport suspension, and I would like to see something from BMW that states that if your non X Drive car with adaptive suspension is lowered by 10mm.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Adaptive is not sport suspension, and I would like to see something from BMW that states that if your non X Drive car with adaptive suspension is lowered by 10mm.
See Section 3.3.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
OP, you are going to get a lot of nonsense answers to this one. Many people will tell you what they feel or think DHP is but few will actually know. But here is what you need to know:

First, since the car you are looking at is a 2014, disregard any mention of the Track handling package. This is what the DHP turned into but it contains different components.

Second, if you are looking at an xdrive car: there is no suspension option what lowers the car from the factory. On the 3er the xdrive option actually gives you a 10mm raise, I don't know if xdrive does so as well on the 4er but considering they are pretty much the same in all other drive train aspects I would venture a guess that it does as well.

Third, here is what the DHP for 2014 contains:
1. VSS. Again people will tell you crazy things about that it is but the explination is simple, they just get confused by the word variable in the name. VSS is a steering rack with a more aggressive threading toward the ends of the rack. I would say lock to lock is right around 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 turns going by my car. People will tell you it changes the ratio based on speed. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Servotronic does that and that is already standard in all US bmws.

2. M Adaptive Suspension. We can call this two parts. Part 1 is added for all cars with DHP whether or not they are xdrive. This is the adaptive shocks. You can change between comfort damping or sport damping. But more importantly they always adapt to road conditions. Part 2 of the M adaptive suspension is a drop of 10mm that is only given to RWD cars. This drop is the same as the static sport suspension but the components are not the same, different anti roll bars for example.

·
Registered
174 Posts
OP, you are going to get a lot of nonsense answers to this one. Many people will tell you what they feel or think DHP is but few will actually know. But here is what you need to know:

First, since the car you are looking at is a 2014, disregard any mention of the Track handling package. This is what the DHP turned into but it contains different components.

Second, if you are looking at an xdrive car: there is no suspension option what lowers the car from the factory. On the 3er the xdrive option actually gives you a 10mm raise, I don't know if xdrive does so as well on the 4er but considering they are pretty much the same in all other drive train aspects I would venture a guess that it does as well.

1. VSS. Again people will tell you crazy things about that it is but the explination is simple, they just get confused by the word variable in the name. VSS is a steering rack with a more aggressive threading toward the ends of the rack. I would say lock to lock is right around 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 turns going by my car. People will tell you it changes the ratio based on speed. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Servotronic does that and that is already standard in all US bmws.

2. M Adaptive Suspension. We can call this two parts. Part 1 is added for all cars with DHP whether or not they are xdrive. This is the adaptive shocks. You can change between comfort damping or sport damping. But more importantly they always adapt to road conditions. Part 2 of the M adaptive suspension is a drop of 10mm that is only given to RWD cars. This drop is the same as the static sport suspension but the components are not the same, different anti roll bars for example.
Good summary. :thumbup: One question though, you say 'xdrive gives you a 10mm raise', do you mean vs sport or standard suspension? If vs standard suspension curious where you got that info? I haven't been able to find any technical documentation on this.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Vs standard. So 20mm diff between xdrI've and sport.

The information is out there. At least for the f30. I know exactly what the page looks like, it has a breakdown of ride heights of the different suspensions but I lost the link and have yet to find it again.

I have even measured it on a dealer lot. Just make sure the car is on a flat surface and measure bottom of the rim, to the fender, don't measure to the ground. Just make sure to get a tape measure with mills

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,583 Posts
The way to go for a suspension that is very good being pushed hard over two lane country roads while being able to provide a softer more comfortable ride when you have people in the car that you have to be grown up with. :rofl:

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
I would like to see something from BMW that states that if your non X Drive car with adaptive suspension is lowered by 10mm.
In addition to the F30 Chassis technical training document that blittler provided, read the descriptions of suspension (Fahrwerk) options 704 and 2VF on page 36 of the attached F30 pricelist from Germany

This is true of all F30 cars globally, and has been since the car was introduced in 2012.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts

YES. This nails it. I test drove my 2015 with and without DHP. I felt DHP made a huge difference in the steering and handling and would highly recommend it if you want any thing that approaches BMW handling of old. BTW, steering is still crappy compared to my '06 E46.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts