BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was researching the Dynavin unit for the e39 when I stumbled across this eBay link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-E39-800-x-4...ltDomain_0&hash=item2a0ebad7ac#ht_11026wt_902

It looks like the Dynavin unit and have many of the same features although it docent mention a brand. I checked her feedback and many of the people who purchased it are pleased. I'm considering this one because of the substantial price difference. Does anyone own this unit who can give me some feedback about it or just know something I don't know about it?? Thanks

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
All the "photos" look like CGI. Cute trick reverse-engineering the BMW bus.

Wonder how well it really works?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I saw something like this at my local swap, though without the TV system. Looks cool but I'm scared of this because whose going to install it? For the price asking I could have a similar system fully installed whether it was initially or specifically made for the E39 with the ability to take the screen and remove it as oppose to being stuck in the car.

Also the monitor I saw had a higher HD quality than the one featured here. This cool but unless I can see who I'm buying it from and having it installed I'd be a little apprehensive to buy it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm more than likely going to install it myself so in not really worried about that aspect. It's just more so the quality and function of the unit. I know I can buy other aftermarket units for the car but I want the vehicle to look stock, and a lot of those dash kits out there look plain cheap.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm more than likely going to install it myself so in not really worried about that aspect. It's just more so the quality and function of the unit. I know I can buy other aftermarket units for the car but I want the vehicle to look stock, and a lot of those dash kits out there look plain cheap.
It's a matter of personal preference. I feel ya. But the one I saw didn't look cheap at all at my local flea market. Also the guys who install them can easily make it look like the unit came with the car except more modernized. I like the E39 but I hate the way someof the inside radios look. For them to put this new thing in my car and have it look like something out of the future was fine with me. My girlfriend has a 94 Camery and her radio makes her inside of the car look more modern as oppose to having a stock version like radio put in.

But I think this kit is nice, and excellent but pricey given that it would have to be self installed.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi,

It's another 'middle' seller of wherever the 'Dynavin' hardware is purchased from. These units are manufactured somewhere in China - most likely in Shenzen but could be anywhere really! they'll have all the basic chassis, fascia, wires and leads etc etc. It's then the 'middle' layer of chinese brands and companies who purchase those and then add in their software revisions and updates etc etc. Dynavin is one such 'middle tier' and if you look around, you'll see allsorts of other Chinese brand names of units that look like this one and like the other one which is commonly known as the 'Hualingan' unit.

Do your research basically, there's some reports where owners of the Dynavin sold via Jeff out of Fresno for the USA, say the unit functions really good and they're happy. There's other reports where some element isn't working so well etc. Over the last few months there's been less and less mention of the Hualingan version as that one seemed to have more 'issues' - if the unit and it's all in one feature set appeal, the fact that you 'might' get issues with it, and you don't mind fitting it all up - then certainly consider it!

The 'Dynavin' in the UK retails at £579 which at current exchange rates is around $930 USD!!

cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Be careful, although that looks like a dynavin, it might be one of the old obsolete models. The new v5 models are all $699 in retail and has a firmware along with minor hardware updates. The one I have has 2 slots above the right side buttons for the gps maps and a memory card for movies , mp3, pics etc...from what I hear, anything lower than v5 cannot be updated with the latest firmware and other stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
633 Posts
There was the steering button updates so youncould use throws buttons to control the iPod menu and the option tuning update to adjust some of the settings that weren't accessible before, icons update and small performance speed up...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was one of the members here that gave me the link for that head-unit. They said they loved it and after checking the eBay sellers feedback a lot of people were pleased with it. I'm going to take my chances with it, it has a 3 day refund policy. As far as those minor updates it's something I can do without to save 200-300 dollars.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It is not a 3 day refund policy, it is a 3 day EXCHANGE policy. Three days ain't much time - at least an afternoon for the install if everything falls into place. Sounds risky to me.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
If you waste half a grand on that you're effing crazy. Chinese crap. Also if it's a Hauligan you REALLY don't want it according to some festers reports on them. Even if it's a Dynavi I'd be sketchy about it. Still haven't heard a whole lot of positives on them as of yet.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If you waste half a grand on that you're effing crazy. Chinese crap. Also if it's a Hauligan you REALLY don't want it according to some festers reports on them. Even if it's a Dynavi I'd be sketchy about it. Still haven't heard a whole lot of positives on them as of yet.
Oh, don't worry Mack. Mine is going in this weekend, along with a host of other goodies, if all goes well with my workload. So, I will give you my thoughts and you will eventually see it in person one day. Well, maybe not...we always seem to get our schedules crossed!

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
OH damn I forgot you were putting on in bro. Yes very anxious to hear your thoughts on the Dynavin. Just a lot of $jack for one of these but I suppose someone has to do it! :) Keep us posted bro. BTW you shoulda come down last weekend. Two bimmer meets and TONS of fun. Hopefully we'll be able to hang out at some point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know it's alot of cash to spend but I don't want my vehicle looking all chopped up. I want the head unit to look like it belongs there. I'm sure whatever I put in there won't sound as bad as the stock radio. By the time I add the component speakers (front & back), 2 jl audio subs, and amps imma be in the game.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Wow you plan on dropping some serious $change on your audio system. Can't blame you. I added a 10" BSW and a Fosgate 500 to power it. Everything else is stock and it sounds great. I'm too busy dropping $$ching into other things like maintenance and wheels LOL.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I know it's alot of cash to spend but I don't want my vehicle looking all chopped up. I want the head unit to look like it belongs there. I'm sure whatever I put in there won't sound as bad as the stock radio. By the time I add the component speakers (front & back), 2 jl audio subs, and amps imma be in the game.
I have the v5 dynavin unit and if it wasn't for the iPod and other media options, I would get rid of it. The fm/am radio sucks compared to my stock unit. My stock unit would have super clear signals from my local stations here but after the dynavin, local stations are a little fuzzy.I didn't change my amp but I have alpine type r all around. It sound crisp and clear. I'm really not all that into "bumpin" sounds anymore like I used to. My truck has a 2000 watt amp powering everything and I dont really play it that loud anymore... Guess I'm getting to be an old timer now...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I already have wheels (19" moven wheels), lowered it a bit, updated my tail light to the newer ones, and the same for the head lights (projectors with HID kit). I have nothing else to do but the sound system and cup holders. I love my sounds so something has to give.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you really want this unit then go for it.but like the saying goes.... You get what you pay for.... This unit is only like $200 cheaper than the updated version. There are other pros to buying the newer versions that I forgot to mention, but most important of all is the warranty and customer service...this guy named jeff from the e46 section owns a store that sells these. And he's been quick to answer all of my problems and even keeps me updated via email of firmware updates and other stuff. Also I forgot to mention that the v5 has been updated and no longer need to use inline noise canceling units. And the screen resolution is improved. Along with the ability to update as firmware and other options as they develop it, is way more reassuring. I believe the old units are obsolete and no longer have updates for them... If youre gonna drop big dollars on stuff like this, why not buy the newer models...But hey, its up to you...it's your money.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts