BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just received my Dynavin (or one very similar to...) head unit today. Everything seems to be functioning just fine, with the backlit keys and antenna being exceptions. For whatever reason, only the 'SRC' button is illuminated. I don't even have the option of playing with the illumination functions in the settings menu, as they are 'greyed' out.

Turning on/off my headlights doesn't change anything, nor does adjusting the dimmer. The unit appears to be communicating with the car correctly, as it switches to backup camera in reverse, displays voltage, etc. There is a wiring harness not in use, which was connected to the MID; I didn't find a place to connect it. The only other wire not connected is labeled 'ANT-C' and goes from past the CANBUS controller to the HU harness side.

Any ideas on what might get these lights working?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Thats not right. If the SRC button is lit the others should be as well. There is no dim adjustment and they should be on when the headlights are on. I would check the wiring once more, because the install is so tight its easy to pull something loose getting it in there. After that, I would talk to the seller about an exchange.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If I am thinking correctly, you can relocate you MID to the glove box. Does your car have DSP? I dont have the unit yet but read that you have to get an adaptor for the unit if you have DSP.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Dude, he's talking about backlighting, not DSP.

Yea, I said Dude.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Well dude, I wasn't talking to you. The unit from bimmernav tells you that if you have the DSP system, you need the adaptor to get the unit correctly. It may or may not be the culprit to the problem to his problem, dude. Its called reading comprehension. Understanding the question and who it is directed to is a fine line between understanding the question and not being a smart ass by replying to the person asking the question.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Thats right Dude. It is reading comprehension. I did reply. DSP doesnt have anything to do with back lighting. And you are a complete towel. Get over yourself.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Phrozen5100:

Did you see an "orange" wire on speaker/power harness? That's the illumination circuit wire, so when the parking lights are on the button will illuminate the buttons.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My car does not have the DSP system stock. Two different connectors came with the head unit. One has the illumination wire, but the one I'm using does not.

The only thing I can see that would even relate is a wire labeled 'Lamp detect', but this was hooked up with the main harness. I'm puzzled by the 'SRC' button being constantly lit. I assume there is a single primary lighting input which powers both the 'SRC' button LED and the other button LEDs; so, either is something is up with the software or a possibly a junction between the input and the LEDs.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
phrozen5100

In your very first line, you have a slightly contradictory and confusing line in that you mention 'a dynavin or one similar to' - You firstly need to provide accurate information!.. this is becuase;

1. The Dynavin E39 unit seems to have been installed by more of a user base than the 'other' unit (and that unit is commonly referred to as the Hualingan unit) - so can you 100% confirm you have a 'Dynavin' head unit ?
2. Depending on the above would take my response in a certain way.
3. if you DON'T have a Dynavin unit, I'd say speak to the vendor you purchased it from, assuming it is indeed a business seller, in the USA and subject to USA consumer law. As the unit appears faulty on arrival, they should follow US law and ultimately I think that'd mean you send this one back and you have a working unit. If you bought from a private seller, or someone off ebay abroad etc you are most likely 'stuffed' as they probably now wont be contactable.. all of a sudden..
4. If you DO have a Dynavin, and you purchased from a reputable USA business seller - perhaps Jeff from J&T distribution (I think that's his company name!) in Fresno, You'll find exemplary customer service and sastisfaction in resolving the issue. If you bought from another reputable US based business seller, I think you can expect the same. If you bought from an ebay or private seller, pretty much above, it's doubtful you'll get a refund or replacement etc.
5. if you DO have a Hualingan or another Chinese brand name unit, as there's no official and reputable dealers of the product, you will most likely be stuffed. That said, reputable sources I think like bimmernav in the USA who bring these into the USA and re-sell, should offer you some recourse.

From all the talk just prior to these units being launched, to the first few days and weeks and now few months of these being released, it seems the Hualingan has more issues and problems such as the above than the Dynavin. Build quality isnt' fantastic on either unit, but it seems the Dynavin is somewhat better in this regard.

I'd doubt it'll be anything to do with how wires are connected etc, it's a faulty unit (99% most likely!)

Hopefully, it is a Dynavin and you purchased from a reputable US seller :)

Cheers, Dennis!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts