Bimmerfest BMW banner

81 - 100 of 157 Posts

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Today was mostly “window tint the Olds and GMC” day... needed something easy-lifting in 95*. Afterward, I was reminded of why I’d waited so long to tint the old bastages: I suck at tinting. But, I’m also cheap, so they’re “good enough.”

I did, however, get a start on the valve cover: cleaned up the old one and hit it with crinkle paint. Tomorrow I’ll take the sanding block to the raised parts. I’ll eventually do the same to the intake.

IMG_7576.jpg
IMG_7577.jpg
IMG_7578.jpg

Edit: the paint is actually dark black, despite the glare in the last photograph.

Sent from space

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Nice! I used VHT wrinkle black and sanded the letters on my 940 valve cover too.

Attachments

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Because I’m pulling the timing covers just to have a look, I ordered guides and a chain. I figured at 240k miles I might as well replace them, that longevity record is not one I want to win.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Yeah, it's probably due.

That reminds me, I need to get a valve cover for my E39. I just remembered today that there's a chunk out of it on the front of the cover. Fortunately that's where the gasket is semi-circular and thick enough to prevent a leak. That said, it's leaking all over my O2 sensors anyway, so it needs to be done soon.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Looking good!

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,117 Posts
There's only one thing wrong with this thread. It makes me want an E21 something awful. A "mini shark" would look great next to my E24s. :thumbup:

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
There's only one thing wrong with this thread. It makes me want an E21 something awful. A "mini shark" would look great next to my E24s. :thumbup:

:D

One of your E24s would look great next to my mini shark. ;)

It does have me rethinking my initial two phase project plan though: I’m not going to be able to get it driveable and then park it for years, I’m going to want to drive it. Which means new tires, suspension soft parts, brakes. And because I hate doing things twice, I “might as well” upgrade wheels, suspension parts, brakes...

Sent from space

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
:D

One of your E24s would look great next to my mini shark. ;)

It does have me rethinking my initial two phase project plan though: I’m not going to be able to get it driveable and then park it for years, I’m going to want to drive it. Which means new tires, suspension soft parts, brakes. And because I hate doing things twice, I “might as well” upgrade wheels, suspension parts, brakes...

Sent from space
I mean, it's only the right thing to do!

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,117 Posts
It's called "mission creep", or the "while I'm in here I might as well..." syndrome. My 84 633 project started out as a simple suspension bushing replacement. $3600 later the entire suspension had been replaced/upgraded. :yikes: :rolleyes: :tsk:

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Luck was with me today; I'd been checking various vendors for radiators, with ECS having one for $650. Rockauto never even had one listed... until today, when I found a closeout on the ONLY radiator they had on their website. Ordered immediately! Cheaper than taking the old one to a radiator shop, just to be told it's probably shot anyway (Al corrosion, plastic tanks, etc.).

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,117 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
$650 for a radiator!?!? Wow!

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Between some various other projects around the house, I made some good progress today on the car.

Reinstalled the fuel tank crossover guard.

Removed the alternator and bracket; to this, I had to remove the oil filter adapter in order to gain access to the bolt immediately under it. This of course means I have to clean up the filter adapter before reinstallation.

Then, after of course setting the engine to TDC, removed the upper timing cover and lower cover. Rather than trying to lock the flywheel with a screwdriver, I opted to simply zip off the crank pulley but with my impact, which it did in short order. Crankshaft never flinched, and the pulley came off by hand. I then removed the lower cover.

This then led to cleaning them up, first with degreaser and then a paint removal disk on my angle grinder, which cleaned the gasket surfaces awesomely, and gave some polish to the visible surfaces. I think I have a new one that might reach a little further; if not I have some polishing attachments for the die grinder.

Tomorrow I might change the chain, guides and install new tensioner. There was some slight slack to the chain, but not too much as both the cam and crankshafts lined up to their marks as they should. The distributor rotor, however, was a few degrees off from where it should be at TDC, but I’m more concerned with the valvetrain at this point. Amazing that the tensioner arm shows zero wear at 240k miles.

IMG_7668.jpg
IMG_7669.jpg
IMG_7670.jpg
IMG_7675.jpg
IMG_7676.jpg
IMG_7677.jpg
IMG_7678.jpg
IMG_7679.jpg

Even had time to add a little bling to the old crusty air cleaner lid on the ‘84 GMC. Figured color matching to the truck would be less boring than black. Eventually I’ll refinish the rest of the housing... add it to the list of projects.

IMG_7680.jpg

Sent from space

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Such a beautifully simple engine! I'm used to seeing the complicated modern timing chains with way too many pulleys.

81 - 100 of 157 Posts