Bimmerfest BMW banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
Such a beautifully simple engine! I'm used to seeing the complicated modern timing chains with way too many pulleys.

And I’m used to seeing a simpler untensioned short chain with some 6” push rods. There is a second chain to the oil pump that I won’t be touching right now. Gotta find an end to the “project creep”.

Sent from space

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Come on, you should know that there is no end!

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Swapped chains and guides today. This required removing the cam sprocket by bending the lock tabs and removing the 10mm bolts.
IMG_7684.jpg

With the sprocket removed the guide holding the chain could be turned out of the way to clear the exposed portion of the cylinder head gasket.
IMG_7686.jpg
IMG_7687.jpg

The old guides/tensioner rail were in great shape, as was the cam sprocket. I***8217;d never guess 240k miles!
IMG_7685.jpg
IMG_7688.jpg
IMG_7689.jpg

New tensioner barrel on the left, original on the right. While I could blow through the old one in only one direction, as I should, the check ball was not freely rattling around. I***8217;m sure I could have cleaned it up without issue, but the new one was so cheap, I opted to replace.
IMG_7690.jpg

Ready for the covers.
IMG_7691.jpg

I had planned to install the covers today, but two of the lower cover bolts also secure the alternator bracket, which had a broken bolt in it (steel and aluminum like to become one), so I had to extract it.

Tried vice grips first, easiest option first. No luck.
IMG_7692.jpg

Then on to what I assumed I***8217;d need to use: my welder. Welded a 7/16-14 nut to the stud shaft.
IMG_7693.jpg

Unfortunately with the wrench it further sheered the stud at its weak end. No biggie, onto a 1/2-13 nut so I could get more weld material and better penetration. Got the sucker red hot... yes it***8217;s glowing.
IMG_7694.jpg

Did the ***8220;2 steps forward 1 step back***8221; routine with the wrench, and the stud came out without issue.
IMG_7695.jpg
IMG_7696.jpg

I didn***8217;t like the threads, especially after the heat and corrosion, so I then cleaned them up with a 1.25 metric tap. I of course used ***8220;Tap Magic***8221; as a lubricant.
IMG_7697.jpg
IMG_7698.jpg
IMG_7699.jpg

To finish off I painted the crank pulley (grey) and the alternator arm (Avignon blue metallic, which seems to be pretty close to the car's Saphirblau paint).

Off to sea for the weekend (I***8217;m pissed I wasn***8217;t on the ship for Isiais!) but I hope to get the covers back on next week. Stay tuned.

Sent from space

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Much better!

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,117 Posts
Yup! Use non-copper-bearing anti-sieze, coat both the threads and the bolt shanks.

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
Yup! Use non-copper-bearing anti-sieze, coat both the threads and the bolt shanks.

I ONLY use Ford hi temp nickel antiseize on everything.

The Ford stuff is the best I’ve ever found, FYI.

Sent from space

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
That ignition module/power stage looks WAY too clean!

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: dukedkt442

·
Registered
4,632 Posts

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Replace the radiator support today. Here’s what I was working with. Also decided to fill the screw holes in the fender and reinforce the frame.

IMG_7798.JPG

IMG_7799.JPG

IMG_7800.JPG

IMG_7801.JPG

IMG_7802.JPG

IMG_7803.JPG

Cut the old support out.
IMG_7804.JPG

IMG_7805.JPG

Clamped and tacked a piece of 2” angle iron in. It’ll definitely be stronger than it was, even new!
IMG_7806.JPG

Welded two 1/8” plates to reinforce the rotted frame.
IMG_7807.JPG

Sent from space

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Welded the angle in, and then welded in some 1” pieces of 3/8” round stock because the radiator mounts were too rotted at the bottom.

IMG_7811.JPG

Plugged all the holes in the fender.
IMG_7812.JPG

I still gotta clean it all up but it’s 95*, my shop has no AC and after 3 hours hovering above 3k* metal, I called it quits. At least now I’m almost ready to drop in the rad, pump and hoses!

Sent from space

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Those fenders will look really nice all cleaned up with the holes filled in! I can't stand cluttered engine bays.

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
On the frame plates, in hindsight I should’ve used wider plates. Laying the bead resulted in numerous blow-throughs, which of course then led to having to add material to fill in the holes, which of course then detracts from aesthetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I got attacked by some beers last night and didn’t feel like doing anything today. So, I did some menial tasks.

Installed the alternator, and remembered I had some wiring to replace.
IMG_7814.JPG

IMG_7815.JPG

IMG_7816.JPG

Wire brushed yesterday’s metal work, then shot it with primer, and paint on the rad support and frame repair. I still need to clean up the inner fenders, but needed to get primer on the bare metal to prevent flash rust in this humidity.
IMG_7818.JPG

Coated each cam lobe with moly grease and poured a little oil over the top end before installing the valve cover.
IMG_7819.JPG

Set the radiator in place to see how it looks and confirm that the mounts were correctly placed.
IMG_7820.JPG

With the car up in the air, used my impact to zip the lugs out and pull the wheel, so I can heave some room to work to install the clutch master and slave this week hopefully. The brakes don’t look terrible, but my immediate plans for the car have changed so I’m going to end up going through all of it anyway. Once running, I think the car might become my daily driver, to sip that go-juice!
IMG_7821.JPG

IMG_7822.JPG

Replaced all the heater hoses. Also grew weary of seeing the t-stat assembly on the floor, so assembled the new one. Parts box is shrinking!
IMG_7823.JPG

Sent from space

·
Anti-Hack
E21, E83
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Made the last post sitting on the stool staring at the car, and decided to zip the rear wheel off too just to see what I got. Not terrible at all, I’ve definitely seen worse. The hard brake lines are in great shape!

IMG_7824.JPG

Sent from space

101 - 120 of 157 Posts