BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,my car is a 1988 635 w/4 spd.automatic(hp22 ZF) and when cruising at 50 mph or so at lite throttle is seems to hunt from fourth to third gear and back to forth etc.Fluid and filter changed 10000 miles ago.This is a recent problem.Is it time to start looking for another tranny? may go to a 5 speed.If you have any thots please email me [email protected] many thanx.DALE

·
Registered
285 Posts
My 1986 635 was doing this and I drained the auto oil and I changed the oil and the filter as it was full of gunge but I soon found out that engine coolant was getting into the auto gearbox oil cooler via the radiator, The auto oil had turned to a pink colour not a nice clear reddish colour so I fitted a new radiator and I also very slightly rotated the electronic unit which sends throttle position signals to the auto box in the direction as though to slacken the throttle signal as I felt on mine there was not any slack between the throttle and the position sensor, Please note only slacken it VERY slightly and put scratch marks on it before you rotate it so that you have a start reference point, This cured my problems, I'm in Kent Uk if you need any further help, Peter

1 - 2 of 2 Posts