BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just finished a valve adjustment on the titled car.

I did the adjustment as the Red book and the Haynes Manual suggests.

I purposely set the number one piston's valves a little on the tight side; (.25mm with the feeler gauge very tight when checking).

I now have good power but a little more valve noise than I care to have.

Question 1 - It is suggested that you adjust the intake and exhaust valves to spec. at
the same time; being after you have the cam lobe pointing downward make the adjustment. I adjusted the intake valve while pointing directly down and then rotated the engine slightly and adjusted the exhaust while the lobe was directly down. Is this the correct proceedure? Or should I adjust both valves while one lobe is pointing directly down?

Question 2 - The new gasket I received has what appears to be a sealant strip that runs the length of the gasket. Is this an aide to getting a good seal or do I need to use sealant with this particular gasket?

Thanks in advance.

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
I've just finished a valve adjustment on the titled car.

I did the adjustment as the Red book and the Haynes Manual suggests.

I purposely set the number one piston's valves a little on the tight side; (.25mm with the feeler gauge very tight when checking).

I now have good power but a little more valve noise than I care to have.

Question 1 - It is suggested that you adjust the intake and exhaust valves to spec. at
the same time; being after you have the cam lobe pointing downward make the adjustment. I adjusted the intake valve while pointing directly down and then rotated the engine slightly and adjusted the exhaust while the lobe was directly down. Is this the correct proceedure? Or should I adjust both valves while one lobe is pointing directly down?

Question 2 - The new gasket I received has what appears to be a sealant strip that runs the length of the gasket. Is this an aide to getting a good seal or do I need to use sealant with this particular gasket?

Thanks in advance.
Quest # 1 yes you should be able to wiggle both of them and adjust both on the round side of the cam (valves fully closed) and rotate the engine to the next cylinder to be adjusted. (which it is done in firing order)
Quest #2 yes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts