BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 1989 325i cabrio just last November and have been enjoying it immensely as an everyday driver. I’m a student and don’t have too much money to throw at it, but I have increased the performance with a chip (off ebay), K&N filter and Signature Motoring heat shield. All in all this stuff was less than $200.00 and gave me a whopping 23 HP/19ft/lb torque increase on the dyno. (The Signature Motoring performance intake was actually in first and gave 8.3HP increase and the chip did the rest; except the chip w/stock intake only have +11 HP instead of the 18-20 advertised). Either way I’m happy and the car feels a lot lighter and responsive.

My next step is a performance exhaust. I’ve got maybe $450 to spend. Can I get something decent for this? Does anyone have tried/true recommendation? If anyone has something for sale, I'm interested. I would need something street legal and bolt on that doesn’t require any custom welding jobs. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just had a 2.5 inch single system, with dual tips, and sports muffler fitted to my 325i. It sounds a little throatier, without a droning sound - this is important particularly if you like to leave the sunroof open. (the cost was $AUD 500). I agree with the previous post, the increase in performance is negligible.

I have some extractors to be fitted, but it was "too difficult" for the exhaust supplier, so must wait for another day.

I also have a performance chip in the car, which improved performance a little more than the exhaust, but nothing exciting.

I am still searching for some extra performance, and will follow this thread with interest.

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
I bought my 1989 325i cabrio just last November and have been enjoying it immensely as an everyday driver. I***8217;m a student and don***8217;t have too much money to throw at it, but I have increased the performance with a chip (off ebay), K&N filter and Signature Motoring heat shield. All in all this stuff was less than $200.00 and gave me a whopping 23 HP/19ft/lb torque increase on the dyno. (The Signature Motoring performance intake was actually in first and gave 8.3HP increase and the chip did the rest; except the chip w/stock intake only have +11 HP instead of the 18-20 advertised). Either way I***8217;m happy and the car feels a lot lighter and responsive.

My next step is a performance exhaust. I***8217;ve got maybe $450 to spend. Can I get something decent for this? Does anyone have tried/true recommendation? If anyone has something for sale, I'm interested. I would need something street legal and bolt on that doesn***8217;t require any custom welding jobs. Thanks!
:bustingup:bustingup:bustingup

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i have an IE catback and catco high flow cat and its awesome, nice and rumbly/burbly everytime i let off the gas after cruising at mid rpms. but IE by itself is disappointing and isn't even louder than a used stock muffler, it weighs 13lbs lighter than stock. The stock fuel injectors start to lean out at around 5800rpms, so i suggest you upgrade those, and then do my favorite mod of all and throw in a m30 AFM.
I'm pretty sure its impossible to gain that much power from a filter and shield, and i'm the guy who sells heat shields.I've never dyno tested but ive accelerometer tested everything(100 times and 1 speeding ticket) and compared multiple 0-60's and horsepower figures and yes all these upgrades help, but maintenance helps just as much..

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
I bought my 1989 325i cabrio just last November and have been enjoying it immensely as an everyday driver. I'm a student and don't have too much money to throw at it, but I have increased the performance with a chip (off ebay), K&N filter and Signature Motoring heat shield. All in all this stuff was less than $200.00 and gave me a whopping 23 HP/19ft/lb torque increase on the dyno. (The Signature Motoring performance intake was actually in first and gave 8.3HP increase and the chip did the rest; except the chip w/stock intake only have +11 HP instead of the 18-20 advertised). Either way I'm happy and the car feels a lot lighter and responsive.

My next step is a performance exhaust. I've got maybe $450 to spend. Can I get something decent for this? Does anyone have tried/true recommendation? If anyone has something for sale, I'm interested. I would need something street legal and bolt on that doesn't require any custom welding jobs. Thanks!
:bs:

·
Registered
242 Posts
i have an IE catback and catco high flow cat and its awesome, nice and rumbly/burbly everytime i let off the gas after cruising at mid rpms. but IE by itself is disappointing and isn't even louder than a used stock muffler, it weighs 13lbs lighter than stock. The stock fuel injectors start to lean out at around 5800rpms, so i suggest you upgrade those, and then do my favorite mod of all and throw in a m30 AFM.
I'm pretty sure its impossible to gain that much power from a filter and shield, and i'm the guy who sells heat shields.I've never dyno tested but ive accelerometer tested everything(100 times and 1 speeding ticket) and compared multiple 0-60's and horsepower figures and yes all these upgrades help, but maintenance helps just as much..
what does the m30 afm do?
sorry just never herd of it and if it helps,,, im down to try it haha

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
what does the m30 afm do?
sorry just never herd of it and if it helps,,, im down to try it haha
well to do the AFM you have to do the 19lb fuel injectors and a cone filter other wise you will run lean from getting to much air. The m30 afm is a bigger version of the stock one it has to have the part number ending 027. all you have to do to install it is to stretch the stock intake boot and your good to go. and enjoy the new power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.