BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an 87' 325is and found that the hood release lever was broken. the lever and wire inside the car seem to be fine, so the problem is on the other end. Does anyone know how to open the hood manually? Any help would be much appreciated...

A

·
Registered
163 Posts
There should be a hole in the front grille right by the driver's side headlight; poke a screwdriver in there to release the hood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked at the area that you are talking about and have found 3 such holes. two on the upper part of the grille and one towards the lower part( all on the drivers side). i have poked in all three with now success. can you identify which one of the three you are talking about. as with all older cars, i dont want to force anything. thanks again for your help...

A

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does this apply to 1990 325i?

Hi, I have the same problem with my 1990 325i... the hood won't open, the lever from inside is pulling the wire but the hood won't budge... if this manual release applies to my model car, can you please tell me where exactly the opening is where I need to jam the screwdriver? don't want to poke a whole in the rad :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thank you

There should be a hole in the front grille right by the driver's side headlight; poke a screwdriver in there to release the hood.
thank you so much, your a (car) life saver.
Oh and i took a pic incase anyone needs to know the exact location

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great!!!! But...

Hey I just bought a 325I so am new to this and obviously need help. Hood was stuck and was able to insert screwdriver (thanks millions!!!!) but what can I do to prevent this from happening again?
Kelly325i

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Hey I just bought a 325I so am new to this and obviously need help. Hood was stuck and was able to insert screwdriver (thanks millions!!!!) but what can I do to prevent this from happening again?
Kelly325i
Here is what happened in my car. The cable was not busted or anything. The handle under the dash was loose. Not so loose that you would see it hanging, but loose. There are only two bolts that hold it in, and over time, they loosen so there is so much play, the lever really does not do anything. So, maybe stick your head up under there and check it out. It worked for me.

·
Old School
4,123 Posts
Once it is open LUBRICATE EVERYTHING!! Don't forget the little wheels on the outer edges at the windscreen end!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay bonnet guys please help me out. I have a 3.20i 1987. The bonnet giving me he'll. I worked on the car and when I disconnected my battery the bonnet did not want to close. I even replaced the lock and bonnet rack and still did not want to closed. Took out all the rubbers and still same problem. I. Realy do not know what to do

·
Old School
4,123 Posts
Take the battery cable out of the bonnet (hood) track.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts