BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Last night i was driving, in the freeway goin about 75mph, and then i notice that the car is just revving like its in neutral but im in 5th gear so i shift down to 4, same, 3rd,2nd,1st gear still just like its in Neutral so i exit stop at a gas station get the car towed home, what can be this problem ? Worn out clutch, Clutch wire torn ?? also before all this problem the car hi-rev'd without me holding the gas the RPM went and sat at 3000, or even 4000 in neutral then finally it did the problem i explained
please let me know you guyses oppionions on what u thing this problem could be.

Towtruck guy said its the clutch or clutch wire torn, but if clutch was bad or torn, while im in 5 then it would stay in five and not down shift im guessing, im guessing the gearbox is bad, but i dont know.

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
ok, if the wire or cylinder was bad it would be stuck in drive. It wouldnt rev like that. simply put you couldnt disengage the engine.
Sounds like maybe the clutch. The tranny could have given up the ghost. Since it is an 84

·
Registered
294 Posts
do you hear the gears spinning when its in gear and you rev?

driveshaft, axles spin etc?

maybe splines on something stripped, axle popped out of a hub?

if you have no lsd then that could do it...

if you suspect the clutch, pop in a new one :thumbup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds like the problem is the clutch. I had similar problems in my e21, especially going uphill.

·
Registered
105 Posts
put the rear end up on jack stand (block the front wheels) start the car, push the clutch in and shift into first gear. look under the car at the driveshaft if its not spinning then its not youre diff/axles. if it is spinning its youre diff/axles. look under the hood have someone engage/disengage the clutch. on some cars you can actually see the clutch cable moving or remove the rubber boot and look at the clutch fork. does it move yes no?.if you have a hydraulic clutch check the fluid level/condition. next lower the car back down. start the car put it in neutral push the clutch in then release it does it make noise in neutral with youre foot of the clutch? next put youre foot on the clutch put it in 1st gear but dont release the clutch yet now go back into neutral and release the clutch THEN try to engage reverse noise no noise? try these things out then come back here and post for some better answers. but more likely than not it sounds like the clutch is gone.:yikes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts