BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Starting to bang my head against the wall... harder than usual. About a month ago I went to drive my 1987 325. I don't drive it all that often, maybe 5k miles a year or so. It has 80,xxx miles. As I was driving I noticed the speedo, odometer and econometer were not working. The radio WAS working fine at this point. I never had any issues with the speedometer/odometer. Never had the intermittent issues others have had.

I did the necessary research, read all the forums and started working on the problem. I replaced the necessary fuses, including #12 (don't recall the others off the top of my head). I replaced the speed sensor in the differential with a brand new one after the fuses didn't do the trick. I inspected the connector at the diff (prior to buying a new one)and it looked OK. Still no speedometer or odometer.

Eventually I pulled the cluster. I checked and re-flowed all of the solder points. I inspected the connections and everything looked OK. I hooked the cluster back up and went for a drive. STILL no speedo or odometer. I didn't try turning the radio on at this point. That was about a week ago and tonight I went to go for a ride in the car as I hate letting it sit. I went to turn the radio on and nothing. When I got home I checked fuse 12 and it was blown. I replaced it, went to turn on the radio and nothing... fuse blown again! At this point I unplugged the antenna as I had heard it could cause issues.I replaced fuse 12 once again and when I turned on the radio, you guessed it, nothing and you guessed again, blown fuse!

At this point I don't know if I caused the radio issue when I pulled the cluster and it's not related to the speedometer or not. I'm extremely frustrated! Any advice? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Repeated replacement of a blown fuse that keeps failing does nothing to fix the problem. You have a short in the wiring. Do you have a Haines or Bentley manual? Is your radio the original one or an aftermarket unit? You need to get a multimeter to carefully trace all wiring related to the affected fuses. Use the multi meter in the ampere mode to check for a short which would manifest itself as a high current draw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.