BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was towed and the tow truck had a regular hitch (lifting up from the front end) and not a flat bed

I noticed midway undercarriage that something appeared to be "dropped"

Had a flat bed tow to my mechanic to check out - they stated nothing was wrong, explained the above when it was towed in.

6 months later and a plate or cover was hanging down towards the back and making a huge racket as it was dragging on the ground, in the same place I had complained about previously.

They could hear me coming in. When I pointed out to the earlier check, the manager re-stated there was nothing wrong. I RESTATED, it is the SAME place I brought it in previously, and adding, it likely hit the curb or drive and knocked out screws or a clip, I was told I was wrong.

They send me a copy of the invoice and state: HEAT SHIELD REMOVED to stop the noise.

NOW, they didn't tell me this was it, nor did they ask authorization to REMOVE it!

Why would BMW ADD a Heat Shield if it wasn't useful for some purpose?
Why would an authorized and licensed mechanic REMOVE it as if it were a "spare part"

Please help with your explanations, as it is deeply concerning and it appears that as a woman, they think they can dupe me and I won't know the difference. ANGRY.

Thank you in advance for your advice and knowledge

·
Registered
794 Posts
Heat shield

My car was towed and the tow truck had a regular hitch (lifting up from the front end) and not a flat bed

I noticed midway undercarriage that something appeared to be "dropped"

Had a flat bed tow to my mechanic to check out - they stated nothing was wrong, explained the above when it was towed in.

6 months later and a plate or cover was hanging down towards the back and making a huge racket as it was dragging on the ground, in the same place I had complained about previously.

They could hear me coming in. When I pointed out to the earlier check, the manager re-stated there was nothing wrong. I RESTATED, it is the SAME place I brought it in previously, and adding, it likely hit the curb or drive and knocked out screws or a clip, I was told I was wrong.

They send me a copy of the invoice and state: HEAT SHIELD REMOVED to stop the noise.

NOW, they didn't tell me this was it, nor did they ask authorization to REMOVE it!

Why would BMW ADD a Heat Shield if it wasn't useful for some purpose?
Why would an authorized and licensed mechanic REMOVE it as if it were a "spare part"

Please help with your explanations, as it is deeply concerning and it appears that as a woman, they think they can dupe me and I won't know the difference. ANGRY.

Thank you in advance for your advice and knowledge
The heat shield is not a "spare part" They became needed after the catalytic converters started showing up and setting peoples yards on fire. There are other heat shields also, most are small and protect things like rubber hoses from exhaust pipes and such, but it sounds like you are talking about the CAD shield. As to why would they take it off and not repair it has more to do with incompetence, most, if not all so called "mechanics" today, are.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The heat shield is not a "spare part" They became needed after the catalytic converters started showing up and setting peoples yards on fire. There are other heat shields also, most are small and protect things like rubber hoses from exhaust pipes and such, but it sounds like you are talking about the CAD shield. As to why would they take it off and not repair it has more to do with incompetence, most, if not all so called "mechanics" today, are.
Thank you BMW-507_4ME

Rhetorical question, thank you for the answer I was searching for :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts