BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a bmw e34 520 maybe a 520i.

i took it out the drive way and went back to put it in the garage and it didnt start. i checked the fuel pump and its chucking out plenty of fuel but still doesnt catch on..i have been cranking it daily for minutes to burn up any fuel there incase its engine flood but i dont understand, it doesnt start up ? any body have any ideas ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, a 520i. I've never had a chance to see one of those where I live. Isn't that a 4 cylinder????

-Nick

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wow, a 520i. I've never had a chance to see one of those where I live. Isn't that a 4 cylinder????

-Nick
no, the 520i used an inline-6, either the M20B20 or M50B20

the only inline-4 e34 was the 518i, which came with either a M40B18 or a M43B18, there are a few youtube vids of a 518i smoking their tires so i guess thery arent that underpowered, thats german enginnerin for ya:thumbup:

Wikipedia has a really good e34 page that lists all versions and engines, if ur curious, look it up

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have A 1994 E34 with an almost exact problem.After driving it for more than 20 minutes my car will not start and takes sometimes up to an hour to crank up.When i turn the ignition key all the lights come on but its dead silence.After between 20 min to an hour when i try and start it it cranks up no problem.Very frustrated .please help

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why?

I don't get why people do these things..... :rolleyes:

I was going to sign up eventually here anyway, but I did it right now to vent my frustrations at these people... there everywhere, any forum you go they do the same thing.

Ask for help, and either get plenty of it, or as the OP has done, come back and reply to let us know the problem is fixed before any help has been given and then ask to delete the thread. Why? It's useful for others that may be looking for solutions to the same/similar problem/s.

But it's only useful IF YOU ACTUALLY POST THE SOLUTION THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM, what the hell is the point in coming back and posting that it's all good and fixed and to delete the thread... geez. I mean this thread alone has 2, 3 including myself that have had almost the exact same circumstances occur, so that information would be really really helpful right now. If it was there that is.

:mad: <--- Nothing could better describe how I feel.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
The OP is intellectually challenged. Only someone with mild retardation would fail to post the answer in the same breath as saying the problem has been fixed.

We must accept the less advantaged members of our society. They are part of our environment and don't know better. There is no place for anger here, only understanding. fwiw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
520 won't start

OK, I know this thread is a bit long running but if somebody had posted an answer at some time I might have saved myself over £700 on the various tows to the garage and various works done.
The 520, like some other cars, apparently has a cold start valve/injector which squirts a bit of extra fuel when you start up. If you only start up and then switch off before the engine warms up, the next time you try to start, you get more fuel squirted in there. That's the theory - although I've left mine for a week before and it still gave me the no start problem. - This causes cylinder wash, where too much fuel in the cylinders 'washes' down between the rings and causes the lack of compression, sounds like your cam belt has snapped and wont fire up.
Assuming you have fuel and the pump is working (you should get a hum, probably from under the back seat when you turn the key to the first position) put your accelerator flat to the floor and turn the engine over for 10 seconds. If it hasn't started, switch off for a second or two and repeat. You might have to do this a third time with your foot flat to the floor. This should clear out the excess fuel in the cylinders and it should burst into life. If your battery is a bit cream crackered you could put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder to seal off the rings so you get some decent compression. Some people will say this might destroy your cat but seeing as the cat operates at a billion degrees C, it should burn it off but hey, thats your choice.
Before switching off, just blip the accelerator to 3000 revs then turn off. This should clear out any unburnt fuel, hopefully preventing any further cylinder wash. I hope this helps somebody.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.