BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to this forum and to BMW ownership in general. I recently became the proud new owner of a '95 525i sedan. Unfortunately, the rubber trim around the outside of the rear windshield is missing, leaving just the clips that held it in place and the edge of the glass exposed. Right now it looks like the cheapest way to replace the part is to spend a little over $300 on new clips and new left and right trim pieces. How important is this rubber trim? Is the windshield glass sealed already or is that trim the only thing that keeps water out? Also, is there a cheaper but equally effective alternative to replacing the factory part? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
People will buy a used one and glue it in with a silicone. If you need a used one I happen to have one. It does not stop leaking. It is for looks.

Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People will buy a used one and glue it in with a silicone. If you need a used one I happen to have one. It does not stop leaking. It is for looks.

Andy
So the trim piece is not actually important, just decorative? It***8217;s been raining all day and I haven***8217;t been able to find any water getting in. I***8217;m hoping I can go without one for a while. That said, I am definitely interested in your used one if you***8217;re willing to part with it! Thank you!

·
Novice BMW Enthusiast
36 Posts
Yeah, it***8217;s just decorative. I blew past a semi truck going the other way on a two lane road going about, maybe 85 MPH. The shock of the air from the truck hitting my e34 at like 150 MPH was enough to separate the trim on the drivers side front windshield (it also scared the sh!t out of me!).

I was able to fix it with some JB weld and let it sit overnight to dry. Just don***8217;t make a mess with the JB weld, it***8217;s a pain in the @$$ to remove from the paint once dry LOL.

I would try finding a local person who***8217;s parting out an e34 (check Craigslist and Facebook marketplace), or go to a U Pull It or similar.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hello all, I am new to this forum and to BMW ownership in general. I recently became the proud new owner of a '95 525i sedan. Unfortunately, the rubber trim around the outside of the rear windshield is missing, leaving just the clips that held it in place and the edge of the glass exposed. Right now it looks like the cheapest way to replace the part is to spend a little over $300 on new clips and new left and right trim pieces. How important is this rubber trim? Is the windshield glass sealed already or is that trim the only thing that keeps water out? Also, is there a cheaper but equally effective alternative to replacing the factory part? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
It's not the trim. That's cosmetic and the clips shouldn't cost that much. Find them on eBay. I purchased an entire set of clips for $20.

If you have a leak, your rubber gasket needs replacing which means the entire rear window needs to be removed. Find a windshield replacement company near you..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts