BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to bimmerfest and absolutely love it. It is most informative. After finding all the info i could on transmission oil change, I changed oil and filter in my newly aquired 530i. The instructions were to fill thru filler plug in pan, let run while shifting thru gears and get temp of oil to approx 85 degrees. I COULD NOT GET THE PLUG OUT EVEN WITH AN IMPACT WRENCH. In the instructions it did not say if it was left or right threads. Had me in a tail spin. I made a tool to fit using a bolt with a 17mm head to fit into the plug. Broke three of them.Finally took pan off and put on bench. HEATED the plug from inside pan and unscrewed out. RIGHT HAND THREADS. The moral to this story, MAKE SURE U CAN REMOVE THE PLUG BEFORE YOU PUT THE PAN BACK ON AFTER A TRANSMISSON OIL AND FILTER CHANGE. The transmission is in a 1994 530i M60. The product number is A5S 310Z. GOOD LUCK. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am new to bimmerfest and absolutely love it. It is most informative. After finding all the info i could on transmission oil change, I changed oil and filter in my newly aquired 530i. The instructions were to fill thru filler plug in pan, let run while shifting thru gears and get temp of oil to approx 85 degrees. I COULD NOT GET THE PLUG OUT EVEN WITH AN IMPACT WRENCH. In the instructions it did not say if it was left or right threads. Had me in a tail spin. I made a tool to fit using a bolt with a 17mm head to fit into the plug. Broke three of them.Finally took pan off and put on bench. HEATED the plug from inside pan and unscrewed out. RIGHT HAND THREADS. The moral to this story, MAKE SURE U CAN REMOVE THE PLUG BEFORE YOU PUT THE PAN BACK ON AFTER A TRANSMISSON OIL AND FILTER CHANGE. The transmission is in a 1994 530i M60. The product number is A5S 310Z. GOOD LUCK. Hope this helps someone.
I had to laugh as i just went through the same thing. I have a '92 525i with an A4S 310R/Non-dipstick. I drained the fluid, dropped the pan and changed the filter, and buttoned it all back up. I was smugly thinking how quick and efficient I was until I went to pull the fill plug and it would not budge. I spent 2 hours trying to break it loose until I tore the hell out of the plug. I ended up having to drop the pan and put it in a vice on the bench, pounded a impact socket on it and used a 4-foot breaker bar. it was like someone had welded the damn thing on! :dunno:

I finally got the thing broke loose, buttoned it back up, and have been driving it for a week or so with a dripping fill plug making a mess on my concrete driveway.

I'm sitting here waiting for the FedEx guy to get here today with my new fill plug and crush washers so I can get things cleaned up and drip-free. So you are not alone in the tranny plug battle... :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was actually thinking of getting my transmission oil changed...i got my 92 525i last year and I have no idea if the previous owner has ever changed it...anyhow, how much are the plugs you guys are talking about? i know i'll break it so might as well order one before doing the job...lmao...

e34

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for info to some poor struggling soul; To remove my fill plug, I made my tool from a bolt and two nuts welded on it. Today I found a 17MM hex socket at Harber Freight that is the answer. The hex:rofl: hole in the fill plug is 17MM.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Matco sells a 17mm 3/8" drive one piece hex socket that is only about an inch tall. It fits in there no problem.

·
Pardeep Singh Banga
9 Posts
Crap, I am sitting here laughing too, i am experiencing the same problem right now on an 95 525i.
Thanks for the tip MadJeff! Crap, now I have to pull the transmission oil pan back out, but the tranny plug nut is all screwed up...

·
530er
62 Posts
Mine is no problem at all...
Has anyone had trouble with a leaky trans oil cooler? Mine leaks, I changed the two o-rings at the hoses still leaking.
I can only guess there is a pin hole in it or something, tough to change or repair?
'94 530i...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine is no problem at all...
Has anyone had trouble with a leaky trans oil cooler? Mine leaks, I changed the two o-rings at the hoses still leaking.
I can only guess there is a pin hole in it or something, tough to change or repair?
'94 530i...
You has my interest, I think mine might be leaking... It loses coolant at a very slow rate, I can't see it leaking from under the car or anywhere but about once every two months I'll have to add coolant and some times there will be smoke/steam coming from under the car... Is that what yours does?

·
530er
62 Posts
Nope. My car has a small drip of trans fluid at the bottom of the core support.
It sounds like you have a coolant leak somewhere. If its steaming or smoking it might be... a head gasket, there are lots of coolant lines that could be leaking too though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
... Dang, There's no coolant in the oil so I don't think it's a head gasket but I wont rule it out just yet. I replaced the radiator and several hoses... Hmmm...

·
Banned
65 Posts
Have you guys noticed what is making those plugs stick like that? Are they galling or is it just from the constant change in temp? Or maybe the material of the plug doesn't agree with the material of the pan. Do the plugs or the threads on the pan seem to be corroded at all?
This seems to be a problem that is fairly common, and maybe something that could be remedied by the use of a thread sealant or lubricant. I just thought we may be able to find a solution to prevent it from occuring in the future. Did you guys try anything like that when you re-installed the plugs?
Sorry for all of the questions, it is late and I'm rambling.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts