BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I***8217;m a new memeber as of today. I bought a 1995 530i today with an automatic. I***8217;ve always wanted an e34 and this one was cheap enough to get into. It***8217;s in really nice shape inside and out but from what I***8217;ve been told it***8217;s got it***8217;s got a bad transmission (zf5hp18). I***8217;ve priced out a few reman and used transmissions but before I throw one in it I was curious if anyone knew of anything I should look out for before I just rip it out and replace it Or if I have to replace it, would I be able to use the e36 m3 ZF gearbox? It seems like the same model and code I***8217;m just not very familiar with the older bmws as everything I have is newer. Thank you to anyone willing to throw me some input or advice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What makes you think the transmission is bad? Does it slip, fail to go into forward or reverse or flare (rev) between shifts?
Well, from what I***8217;ve been told it had been slipping and eventually went all together. It was driven to where it sits now but will be trailered to my house in a little less than a week so I can get my hands on it. Previous owner said if I were to put some more fluid in it that it would maybe move but I***8217;m not too sure he knows a lot about any type of BMW.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I would drain the trans, measure what comes out, drop the pan and look for debris. Then you'll know if fluid was low or if some obvious damage had occurred.

If it is bad, I'd put in an manual transmission. The little V8 isn't very powerful but you can get the most out of it with a stick. It'll also make it more desirable if/when you choose to sell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would drain the trans, measure what comes out, drop the pan and look for debris. Then you'll know if fluid was low or if some obvious damage had occurred.

If it is bad, I'd put in an manual transmission. The little V8 isn't very powerful but you can get the most out of it with a stick. It'll also make it more desirable if/when you choose to sell.
Drained the transmission yesterday and the fluid was pretty dark and had a nice metallic streak. I held a magnetic screwdriver to the fluid while it drained and got quite a lot of metal flakes out of it. I went ahead and pulled the transmission and I***8217;m thinking about rebuilding it. I would love to manual swap it but I***8217;m not sure. There***8217;s not a lot of e34s around where I live and I would probably want a donor car to remove all necessary parts. If anyone has a lead on a rebuild kit that would be awesome. Thank you Graybeard for your help so far

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Did you measure the amount of fluid you drained? Slipping can be the result of low fluid level ...

A great parts source is Nat Wentworth at Eriksson Industries in Connecticut. Call him, he's a nice guy who isn't shy about offering advice. Eriksson is an authorized ZF shop. http://www.erikssonindustries.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts