BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off an updated pic of the '95 318i convertible. We brought it out of hiding today, ostensibly to clean the interior, but also to enjoy the first 80 degree day of the year.

The nearby dealer was kind enough to bolt on the new plates and provide a couple frames (only used one in the rear). New ebay shifter knob's on the way but I shimmed the current one up w/ some electrician's tape and it's pretty solid for now.

I assume these are/were ashtrays in the console? When the doors retract a couple of spring loaded fingers in the bottom of each opening extend upward? What's that all about? I would expect some kind of metal insert in these openings? If so, why the spring loaded contraption in the bottom? What about the forward opening, do those two holes want a couple screws replaced?

·
I like pie.
3,747 Posts
You are half right, there is an insert, but it is plastic, not metal, which makes lots of sense considering people stick burning embers in them. the little arms just raise the ashtray up a little bit, I guess to make it look cooler. Also, I am not sure that the one beside the E brake handle is supposed to be there, mine just has ab open space to stick things in, and that one looks seriously jury rigged in there, that is also why there are now screws in the bottom, I would recommend just pulling it out and having the space to store your Ipod or what have you. What I did with my ashtray (the one behind the E brake) was that I pulled out the insert and installed a 110V electrical outlet in it because I don't smoke and on occasion I find it useful to be able to plug in my computer.

P.S. That thing is looking super clean.

·
Fast Cars Suck!
7,726 Posts
my car has 2 ashtrays like this you just need the inserts, try finding the part number on realoem.com or then find the product on pelicanparts.com worse come to worse go to the BMW stealer nearest you and have them look up the part if its crazy expensive then just get the part number and google it. :)

Btw thats a pretty vert you have there, looks mint :)

·
Fast Cars Suck!
7,726 Posts
oh and since you only have 4 posts.....Welcome to the 'fest:hi: :roundel:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
P.S. That thing is looking super clean.
Thanks, the DSLR takes a much nicer pic than my P&S.

A little vacuuming and wipe down went a long way to sprucing up the interior. Still needs a good going over with vinyl cleaner, I'm going to try Castle's Vinyl Touch. Also planning to score some OEM mats.

Your points are well taken, I'll try to remove the e-brake ashtray and at least remove the spring loaded contraption from the rear one.

A couple more pics, the wheel appears to be a little battered underneath the "wood tone" cover, which I don't care for, what are my options?

(And thanks for the info and welcome Joe)

·
I like pie.
3,747 Posts
I just got a cheap WallyWorld cover for my steering wheel, one of the black kinda leather looking ones, it cost something like $8 and really made the car look cleaner, also since I have big man hands I like the extra girth from the cover (no h0mo:eeps: lol)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts