BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
Im new to this forum and i know a little bit about BMW. so my brother who is in the military gave me his 1998 318i on one condition, if i turn it into a bad a$$ street/ maybe track car.fortunately for me he is funding my project. id say just buy another bmw but hes had this car for 6 years and it has been in the family all its life. it has a lot of sentimental value.

so down to the point. i was doing some research and i want to swap a m50b25. id buy a parts car and just swap all the parts into the 318i?

when buying a parts car with ews do i need to bypass both systems? im a little confused on that.

i would be doing all labor by myself and some friends. it would be much appreciated if you could tell me all the parts i need to perform the swap.

thanks, :thumbup:

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
The best thing to do is buy a wrecked parts car that every piece of the drivetrain is intact and in working order. I believe the driveshaft lengths may be different on auto/manual and possibly 2dr/4dr so keep that in mind when looking for your parts car. You will have to swap the dme, engine, cooling system, tranny, diff, driveshaft, rear half-shafts (axles), cross members....I may have left something out, its late in my work day.
Another question is why not throw in a m52 and swap the m50 manifold onto it? That way you would be dealing with obd2 swap into an obd2 chassis?

·
Just a kid with a toolbox
688 Posts
The best thing to do is buy a wrecked parts car that every piece of the drivetrain is intact and in working order. I believe the driveshaft lengths may be different on auto/manual and possibly 2dr/4dr so keep that in mind when looking for your parts car. You will have to swap the dme, engine, cooling system, tranny, diff, driveshaft, rear half-shafts (axles), cross members....I may have left something out, its late in my work day.
Another question is why not throw in a m52 and swap the m50 manifold onto it? That way you would be dealing with obd2 swap into an obd2 chassis?
Yup. For my swap (95 ti) I bought a $800 325is 5 speed with 177k miles. It had a M3 cluster a few other parts here and there I used, have in stock, or sold. I also sold the rolling shell, which had some front end damage and rough interior.

All in all I paid about $500 (Sold about $300 of stuff off it) and got a M3 cluster, M50B25 with harness and all accessories, Getrag 5 speed, and a driveshaft. And I pulled various connectors, bolts, brackets, etc off the donor car to keep in stock if not used.
My swap however did turn into a fully rebuilt stroker with bolt ons, but it doesn't have to. I just have no self control.

I also just saw you have a 97. So you are going to work a lot harder to make a M50B25 work. I suggest getting a M52B28 out of a 96-90 328i and doing a couple bolt ons or a S52B32 out of a 96-99 M3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys for all the information. i was thinking buying a parts car would be best so i can just swap everything. bimm3r thats a good idea about the m52 to m50 manifold. and Jakobie1086 is the m52b28 easier to swap? the only problem about doing a s52b32 swap is its hard to find a m3 for cheap or wrecked.
thanks,

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Swapping in the m52 vs m50 will make your life easier, trust me. That way you are dealing with all obd2 stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.