BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased this 1995 318is with a blown transmission

I have a 318ti that's also a 5 speed that I'd like to swap (everything I can hatchback has 160xxxkm coupe has 280xxxkm)

They're both 1995 just wondering what I'll need out of the 318ti

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
I know nothing about the 4 bangers but expect you will get better responses with better questions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know nothing about the 4 bangers but expect you will get better responses with better questions.
The coupe runs rough has blown transmission
The hatchback runs good but is smashed
I want to know what I'll have to pull out of the 318ti besides engine and transmission to get the coupe going, the coupe runs but burns oil like crazy and doesn't have 3rd gear

·
Registered
646 Posts
Why change engines when you could change the body? Put the coupe body on the hatchback frame. Or is the frame damaged also?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will respond.

I would strip everything from the donor body and replace everything from the running wreck. I would then sell the salvaged parts to cover some of my expenses.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Not saying it is easy, but you are way ahead of most people needing to bring one back from the dead.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
Why change engines when you could change the body? Put the coupe body on the hatchback frame. Or is the frame damaged also?
The body panels are not interchangeable between the the coupe and compact. And of course with unibody cars, you can't swap bodies onto frames, since the body is the frame.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Just trailered the hatch home from the acreage, starting the swap this week
Also done a couple things, wet sanded the tail lights with the maguire headlight restoration kit sold the one piece halo headlights and ordered some stock ones

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Frame damage

Not POSSIBLE it's a unibody.

If you swap the engine and transmission it's an easy one but you will need a driveshaft for the coupe because the automatic driveshaft will be too short.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
If memory serves me correctly both the 318ti and 318is where the same wheelbase so drive shaft length should be the same with both being manual trans cars.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
Although, I suppose there is the possibility that since they use different rear sub-frames and differentials, the drive shaft length could vary a bit even though both cars are manual transmission cars. Don't quote me on that, though. Just throwing ideas out there to consider.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although, I suppose there is the possibility that since they use different rear sub-frames and differentials, the drive shaft length could vary a bit even though both cars are manual transmission cars. Don't quote me on that, though. Just throwing ideas out there to consider.
Will a large case 328i diff fit? Trading a bumper for it it's out of a 1997

I only want to swap this to get it running for now and to get the hatchback out of the yard

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
The 328 used a medium case diff, but no, I don't believe the regular E36 diffs will fit into the rear sub-frame of the compact/hatchback, which is mostly from the earlier E30.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 328 used a medium case diff, but no, I don't believe the regular E36 diffs will fit into the rear sub-frame of the compact/hatchback, which is mostly from the earlier E30.
The hatchback is just being used for engine and transmission then being sent to the scrap yard, I'm trying to fix up the coupe

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
Oh, I just remembered that your coupe is not a 328... Yes, a 328 diff will fit into your 318is coupe body just fine.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts