BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bmw 1996 - 1997 e36 318ti with a m44 engine

iv noticed that when I put my foot down on take off my clutch just spins
also in fast gear changes . it doesn't slip in high gears and don't seem to have any other problems ,

I thourt it might be CDV but after looking I don't seem to have one ? could it be a hose with a cdv in it ? iv saw a few things about this but theirs not much about them
also I think I have low gear box oil could this be why its making it slip ?

I want to start drifting and a slipping cluch make its really hard !
carnt even get the wheels to brake free unless its raining like hell or on dirt ?

can anyone help me ? :dunno:

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,469 Posts
If you get slipping under heavy throttle, you need a new clutch.

That said, in a 318, getting the wheels to spin is always going to require wet or dirt surfaces. You need a different drift car, or an engine swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no, not a slipping clutch,....it's just the m44....:angel:

df
Thanks for the replys
What do you mean it's just the m44 ? The cluch dose seem font and iv tryed the pulling off in 5th with handbrake on and it stalls out straght away ?
Is thair anyway to overcome the lag ?

·
still learnin'
5,031 Posts
Thanks for the replys
What do you mean it's just the m44 ? The cluch dose seem font and iv tryed the pulling off in 5th with handbrake on and it stalls out straght away ?
Is thair anyway to overcome the lag ?
What? I hate to ask, but do you know how to operate a clutch?

You can't start in 5th, with the handbrake on. Actually, you can't start in 1st with the handbrake on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What? I hate to ask, but do you know how to operate a clutch?

You can't start in 5th, with the handbrake on. Actually, you can't start in 1st with the handbrake on.
Yeh I know , but it's ment to be a way to test the clutch . If it stalls it's okay if it's starts to slip you will know and it's worn '

·
Registered
12,435 Posts
yeah, a slipping clutch would not stall the engine if it were put in 5th. however, i think that you have to provide additional information on exactly what you are experiencing. your descriptions thus far are rather vague.

if you are bogging down, the first thing to check is fuel pressure.

additional things would be filters and fluids, but regardless, if it is a drift vehicle that you are looking for, an m42/44 powered e36 is not a good choice.

df

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, a slipping clutch would not stall the engine if it were put in 5th. however, i think that you have to provide additional information on exactly what you are experiencing. your descriptions thus far are rather vague.

if you are bogging down, the first thing to check is fuel pressure.

additional things would be filters and fluids, but regardless, if it is a drift vehicle that you are looking for, an m42/44 powered e36 is not a good choice.

df
Okay,
It's also I daily drive so it's not got to be a hardcore drift car
But I would like it to at least go a bit sideways
If I'm in first and slowly let up the clutch then put my foot down it dose pull
But if I pop the cluch any more than 2000rpm my revs will shoot up then sit thair for about 5 - 6 seconds then it seams to bite and will pull off. ? Dose this help ?
Same thing when moving if I stomp the cluch it will sit at a same rpm then will bite and engage agen . Hope this helps ??

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,469 Posts
Your clutch is slipping... And again, you won't be getting sideways with an M42 or M44 unless you're on wet roads or gravel. You just don't have the power.

·
Registered
12,435 Posts
now ths makes a little more sense. yes, it does soung like the clutch is worn. it is slipping if it exhibits the symptoms you described.

i also agree with karl. not that these motors couldn't take the abuse, or be built to put down some power (the block is based off the m10, which was the basis for the s14), it's the heads on these guys that tend to be the restricting factor.

and the tune....

and the intake....

and the exhaust....

so yeah, i *could* be done, but you'd be better off keeping the ti as a daily and learn to drive it. without sliding. get good tires.

and then get yourself a ratted out shell of an e36 and use that for drifting.

df

1 - 11 of 11 Posts