BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post to the community. I'm here because I'm about to go mad. My 97 328is is having tranny issues. I'm getting codes p0720, p0732, & p0101. I've searched up and down the forums, and I've yet to find anyone with the same specific problem as I, nor can I find anyone who've updated the forum on the results, so I decided to make my own post.

About maybe 8 months ago, my MAF sensor went out and at the same time, my car began to jerk pretty hard into 2nd gear. I probably bought 4 or 5 aftermarket replacement sensors, none worked. I read that the hard jerk could be caused by the bad MAF sensor so I started to use the car less and less.

About a month ago, I took a trip to Knotts Berry Farm, and on my way home, at a drive thru, my car shut off. I didn't notice it turn off as I was getting the food. I tried to turn it on but would die right away. Only way it stayed on was if I revved the engine as soon as the car turned on. The next morning, I reversed out of my garage, but when I tried to go into drive, the car wouldn't move. Not sure why but I revved the engine for whatever reason, and the car started to move forward. I got super worried & didn't want to drive it, but I had work soon and I don't have another car, so I drove it. When I got out of work, it reversed, but didn't go into drive. I revved the engine & yet again, it went into drive. There is almost a complete loss of power though. When I get it in drive, it painfully revs to about 5k before it even begins to move from a stand still. Kickdown button doesn't do anything anymore.

I took it to an Indy bmw mechanic and gave me codes p0720 & p0732, along w the MAF sensor. He said it was a "death code" and I need a new tranny. I'm worried it might just need sensors, but I can't find any online.

I'm stressed the f*** out at the moment. I'm using my dad's truck in the time being. I feel like I've hit a wall with this damn car, but I love it so much I don't want to sell it at such a ridiculously low price. I can't afford a new tranny or rebuild so there's that. I need some advice and thoughts on whether or not I need a new tranny, or can't work be done to this one?

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,537 Posts
P0720 is output sensor out of range, and P0732 is internal pressure leak. The first one compares the output speed to the engine rpm according to which gear it's in. The second comes up when the internal pressure is lower than normal in the valve body. That translates to a transmission that is most likely too far gone to help with a fluid flush and fill. If it were just one of those codes by itself, it would be possible that it was a bad sensor, but the two together? It's done. Sorry. :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts