BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am doing the swap and have a complete parts car that is just wrecked so i have everything. The only thing i need to know, is there any wiring? please help

·
Registered
103 Posts
Look at the manual tranny and look at the auto tranny side by side when you rip it out.... I know completly usless info but..... Thanks for going manual.... It's better anyway

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
The only wiring that comes to mind is the backup switch for your reverse lights. That's the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah so far thats the only wires i see going into the manual trans. i will know for sure in about an hour. almost out

·
Registered
10 Posts
you also have to rig the park/neutral switch from the automatic transmission and the light on the cluster for trans failure has to be removed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
you also have to rig the park/neutral switch from the automatic transmission and the light on the cluster for trans failure has to be removed.
+1 neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
im wondering the same. goin to be doin this swap in 2 months. let me know how it goes man, after its all done, any pointers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
To those of you who are converting to a manual trans, I am looking for a good automatic transmission for my E36 M3, 1998. So much for following BMW's "life time" auto transmission service recommendation.

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
this, and the reverse light tapping. Other than that, you dont need any other wiring. I didnt even connect the reverse lights to the tranny, I made my own seperate switch for it (so I have fun messing with people) :rofl:. the way you rig the park/neutral "switch" is by (IIRC) connecting pin numbers 5 & 7 together. i can take pictures for you if you'd like. The swap was semi-easy, just make sure you dont strip ANY bolts. Trust me, you dont want that happening at ALL. Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
What the fcuk!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate bumped threads :tsk:

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts

I realized right after I posted.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts