BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Can some kind person tell me where i might find the break light switch on my 1996
320i convertable. I have an intermitant brake light failure problem. Think it may be the switch.

Thanks Guys
Terry

·
Registered
621 Posts
i have 1996 318 convert.
it is right on the brake pedal arm...up high
may have to remove the cover from bottom of dash to access unless you have small arms.
the switch is a common failure item if it has never been changed.
has red tip...easy way to change it is to cut the red part off with pliers and remove switch...snap new one in..under $20 u.s dollars.
***caution wear safety glasses because when i was on my back squeezed under the dash a piece of plastic fell in my eye and hurt like hell..all is well.

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
Ive fixed my taillights a few times and it wasnt the switch. The bulb mountings get corroded and need a cleanup. I did mine over two years ago and it hasnt failed once. FYI. ;);)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi...I decided to check the bulbs for corrosion as you advised. the bulbs were fine, but the holder was severely corroded. After cleaning the holders the brake lights worked just fine. So heres a big thank you...saved a lot of back breaking reaching under the dashboard.to replace the switch....Cheers..

Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts