BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
e36 camber, caster, toe in values?

Does anyone have a list of the camber, caster, and toe-in recomendations from BMW? All I have been able to get a hold of are broad ranges "accaptable" from the dealer. Of particular interest to me would be the stock e36's (different years w/ and w/o sports package) and the e36 M3 specs. My car came OE with 15" and stock suspension, which has since gotten Bilstein HD's and 17" M3 wheels. I have gotten 2 alignments since these upgrades, and the dealer said they did the alignment for the "sports suspension and 17" wheels". The second alignment was done yesterday, so I want to see where the values fall compared to e36's from the factory.

·
Registered
91 Posts
And what do you intend to do with these alignment specs ?

The reality is that caster isn't adjustable. The front camber isn't adjustable. The rear camber has a small range. The front will always have a small toe-in, as will the rear, for a stock setup.
Changing to 17" wheels won't necessitate a change in alignment specs. Lowering the car will.
Most alignment machines have number of 'stock' settings for the E36. Sounds like you got the correct one for your car.

I do mine with a camber gauge and a set of toe-plates...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't have the sheet with me, but I know they set the rear camber to -1.8, which sounds reasonable. If I remember correctly, they set the front camber to -0.3. If that is indeed fixed, then I am guessing the Bilstein's may be the controling factor there slightly altering the ride height. I kept the stock springs, and used the Bilstein HD's.

I guess I just wanted to know to see where they came up with the values for my car, and didnt just use stock e36 values. The wider tires, both front and back should alter the alignment, and I was hoping to double check the value they set. The stock wheels were 205's, and my fronts are now 225 and the rears 245. With such wide rear tires, the camber will need to compensate a bit, or so I have read. Plus, I'm not certain that the Bilsteins Heavy Duty's have the exact OE ride height.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that I have the sheet, here are the values:
---------------------
Front: Left/Right

Camber: -0.4 / -0.6
Caster: 3.3 / 3.7
Toe: 0.16 / 0.15

Cross Camber: 0.3
Cross Caster : -0.4
---------------------
Rear:

Camber: -1.8 / -1.8
Toe: 0.23 / 0.22

Cross camber: -0.0
Thrust Angle: 0.01

Anyone have the values for their e36 with 17" wheels and sports suspension? Or e36 M3 values to compare with? Would be much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.