BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dropped some lowering springs in the other day,
and noticed my control arm bushings were looking a little rough.
So im shopping for some new stuff to upgrade.

My questions are:
1. Should I just swap bushings, or do the whole control arms?
2. Are the powerflex bushings as awesome in real life as they are on the interwebs?
3. Offset, or centered? Does it make a big difference in handling?
4. Any suggestions for a full control arm upgrade?

The car is a 1996 328is, and its my daily.
I do enjoy taking my turns pretty fast,
And I enjoy drifting the rainy days.
Not too worried about a luxury ride.
I just dont want to get a performance part that daily driving destroys

Any suggestions would be great with reasons, pros/cons, personal exp.
I did see bavauto had a full front control arm replacement with centered powerfelx bushings for like $250
Kinda interested in it if anyone has bought that.

·
Under the lift arms
13,263 Posts
They are mORE awesome then real life and interwebs put together

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HOW are they more awesome? And are you running offset or centered?

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,469 Posts
Unless you also have '95 M3 upper strut mounts, you need to run centered control arm bushings.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Nothing really says which is which. Just that centered and offset are options.
Good to know before I destroy everything hahaha

·
Bavarian Autosport
415 Posts
The offset bushings will push the front wheels forward slightly. You don't really "have" to run different top mounts with them but you'll certainly need an alignment. I run the offset powerflex bushings in my E30 and I had solid rubber offset M3 bushings in it before. Very noticeable difference between the two. The powerflex have a way better feel on turn-in and the front end just feels crisper overall. On control arms I like the Meyle HD arms. If you ever wipe out a ball joint you can just install a new joint without a special press adapter like you need for stock BMW style outer joints. I actually put a set of the Meyle HD E36 arms in my E30.

·
BMW CCA Member
3,419 Posts
+1

I avoid the Myele HD arms namely because I was told by several people, including the ones I play with at Summit Point, to avoid them like the plague. Loemferder gets nothing but praise from many people. I use them in my M3 and have been VERY satisfied with them. Still no issues to date and they work GREAT!! However, you said you are doing "daily driving" in your car. You could get by with Myele HD arms.

As far as the bushings, I run PowerFlex all around my M3 for the past two years and they have been flawless. They still feel like new, even after some track even spurts. However, I am thinking about going American Made with AKG Motorsports. AKG Motorsports makes bushings that are direct OEM fit, and use OEM hardware, versus the Powerflex rear subframe bushings. Not complaining, but I want to try something new. Also, a few more advanced folks at the track say that as I get to push my car harder and harder around turns, the AKG bushings will feel more consistent. I guess we'll see when I get to that point.

Also, another option I saw at Bimmerfest were these guys: http://www.superpro.com.au/?v=bmw-3-e36---1990-2000/999500343/5518 Super Pro Bushings. The name sounds pretty corny, but they have a self-lubricating system that is guaranteed for life. If they fail, pull em off your car, send em back, and they send you new ones, no questions asked. The self-lubricating system is merely a bunch of patterns in diamond formation that are perforated to allow grease to sit in the pockets and keep the area lubricated with grease. Pretty neat design if you ask me. I believe AKG bushings are similar in design with the self-lubrication "technology".

But in my opinion, if you aren't tracking your car or anything and are just going on sideways-hat-wearing excursions while dropping some terrible beats down the road, stick with OEM bushings. You will still take turns pretty fast, not worry about luxury much, and will help you do your drifting in rainy day driving. Hopefully you don't hit anyone with stupidity and cost their lives while drifting, but you will be fine with regular OEM bushings and Myele HD arms. Bavarian Auto actually has a VERY good price for the front control arm and bushing kit. Stick with centered bushings. Do some track events with real driving instructions and learn how to drive properly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good advice on the bushings hnaz.
I also heard the same about the control arms.
Do you know what the difference is between Myele and Loemferder?
Everyone says Loemferder, but not why.

Also the drifting is done at our local track,
They let us come out and tear it up for a few hours after a light rain.
(Have a guy on the inside)
Ive ran the dry track a few times as well.
No sidewayz snapbackz and **** music from my car!

·
BMW CCA Member
3,419 Posts
Good advice on the bushings hnaz.
I also heard the same about the control arms.
Do you know what the difference is between Myele and Loemferder?
Everyone says Loemferder, but not why.

Also the drifting is done at our local track,
They let us come out and tear it up for a few hours after a light rain.
(Have a guy on the inside)
Ive ran the dry track a few times as well.
No sidewayz snapbackz and **** music from my car!
You can do a Google search and find many FAIL stories about Myele control arms. The problems range anywhere from ball joints breaking loose to premature wear. But the main people that complain are people that primarily auto-X or track their cars. As for daily driving, Myele is just fine.

Loemferder is VERY high quality and the products are built to take a beating, namely since they are designed for the track user. They are a bit more expensive, but you get your money's worth.

That's good you drift at the local track. I know around here in the Communist Republic of MD, you see a lot of snapback sideways mofos drifting on off-ramps then take out a guardrail, while sparing their lives (unfortunately).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, here theres just a lot of underage kids
in parent sponsered rice burners trying to race me all the time.
They talk drifting, and being "pro drivers"
Id like to see one go toe to toe with me on the track.
But they never want to do it hahaha

·
Registered
12,435 Posts
I had meyle hd control arms on cadence for years and have not had any issues with them. since I didn't track her it didn't scare me to use them, and I wasn't gentle on her when in did drive her.

not sure of all the fuss, sounds to me a lot like the oil pump drive nut syndrome to me. while it may be an issue sometimes (on tracked vehicles), I have not heard of any such failures on regular driving conditions.

ymmv....

and I used solid centered bushings.

df

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I decided to give Bavauto a call and ask about their brand control arms
They source them from JL Germany.
Anyone used them? Or heard any news?

·
Under the lift arms
13,263 Posts
yep... ken has sent me just about every piece there is.. I normally buy jl or bav brand,

also my bushings were center, as i didnt seea option to get off set ones...

id get the ones from BAv,

(free plug ken free plug)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts