BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's boss owns a 1995 325i conv. as a second car. He knew that I am always on the board checking out what's going on, so he asked me to post a few questions.

1. The 1995 conv. had a plastic rear window. The 1996 conv. had a glass rear window. His top is in good shape, but the plastic window needs to be replaced. The dealership said that they would replace the window with a new plastic one for $659. They said if he wanted a glass rear window, he'd have to get a new totally new top. Is this true?

2. His 1995 came with 1 keyless entry remote. It quit working, so he replaced the battery. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem this time. The dealership said they'd replace the keyless entry for $117 and charge him $55 to burn a new chip. The problem is that they cannot say for sure that this will make it work. Is it not possible for them to test something to see what the problem is before charging him for a new keyless entry system that may or may not work? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any responses ahead of time!

·
10,856 Posts
G

·
ALL E36 convertibles (through 1999) have PLASTIC rear windows. Ask me how I know.

The top, as is, folds the rear window in half. Were it glass, you *might* have a problem. Not only would you need a totally new top, but it would have to be custom designed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealership doesn't know very much as usual then, which doesn't surprise me. They told him the 1996s had a glass rear window. Geez:tsk:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick, I'm not sure how his back window looks. He just told me he needed a new one. I assume it probably is all fogged up like you say, but I don't know if there is any cracking or anything else going on.

If you don't mind, could you tell me the name of the stuff you used again? The link didn't work for me. Thanks

·
10,856 Posts
Item 71ZX1263X - Polish/Cleaner and Scratch Remover Kit Quantity of 1 @ 13.95 EA

www.jcwhitney.com

just enter "71ZX1263X" into the search window.

hth :)

edit: The SL had been treated with a couple other plastic treatments before, as well... They didn't work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts