BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i bought the car knowing roof wasnt opening, last owner said it was something to do with allen key thing..i put allen key in and turned left and right and nothing is happening..whatis problem? i opened plastic part and found this broke? is this why its not releasing from windscreen? what is it called? and is fixable? thanks..

ok heres some pics folks, i put the allen key in turned it to left and right and nothing happened..so i took plastic cover off and heres whats there..looks like a wire cable busted? what is this? and is it fixable?

I'm guessing these 2 should be joined, just need to know what they are and if fixable? any other way of getting the roof open here at the front?

·
MrJanka
159 Posts
Looks like some kind of Bowden cable. If your turning the Allen key left (continuously, as that it takes awhile for the soft top top hinges to progress to close, I MEAN A LONG WHILE) and its not responding its more than likely the connection that initiates the hinges to close. Is it fixable? Yes, of course. Anything is fixable, as long as you have the time and $. It could either be the electrical connection that provides electricity to the motor or any a PHYSICALLY dependent cable which provides the needed tension to finish fully closing the top.

Heres my advice in order.

1. Go to B.F.C.com, they have a VERT section there. Take better pictures first! Double check your grammar and sentence structure or else you'll get flamed. Post there and someone will know whats going on.
2. Dont buy stuff unless you actually know whats wrong first. Could prevent you from getting F*kd over.
3. Its a vert, and more than likely 10 years old, start looking for hard top now. Your bound to run into problem after problem with your convertible top. A Hard Top will provide you with reliable transportation whether your soft is fully functional or not. Find one before they become even more hard to find than they are now. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like some kind of Bowden cable. If your turning the Allen key left (continuously, as that it takes awhile for the soft top top hinges to progress to close, I MEAN A LONG WHILE) and its not responding its more than likely the connection that initiates the hinges to close. Is it fixable? Yes, of course. Anything is fixable, as long as you have the time and $. It could either be the electrical connection that provides electricity to the motor or any a PHYSICALLY dependent cable which provides the needed tension to finish fully closing the top.

Heres my advice in order.

1. Go to B.F.C.com, they have a VERT section there. Take better pictures first! Double check your grammar and sentence structure or else you'll get flamed. Post there and someone will know whats going on.
2. Dont buy stuff unless you actually know whats wrong first. Could prevent you from getting F*kd over.
3. Its a vert, and more than likely 10 years old, start looking for hard top now. Your bound to run into problem after problem with your convertible top. A Hard Top will provide you with reliable transportation whether your soft is fully functional or not. Find one before they become even more hard to find than they are now. :)
i would like a hardtop and could get one at my breakers yard..but i need to get this roof off lol? shud i try turning the allen key for longer? any other way of getting the roof disconnected at the front? after that i can just fold it down..

·
MrJanka
159 Posts
Well when you get a Hard Top its gotta be folded down anyway. And im not saying get a Hard Top and not worry about the Softie anymore! If you have Hard Top at your local breaker, snatch it up NOW if you have the extra $ you will not regret it. Like I said, go BFC and ask them. They might know. I had to drive 6 hours away to pick up my hard top. But it was matching color :)

·
MrJanka
159 Posts
Seriously, if the top is connected and latched, don't mess with it. No offense, but you obviously dont know how the top works or what is going on. I would suggest doing a little research first;

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for help mate what is bfc? what it short for? anyone else know how I can get the roof to open at front? what cable is broken? thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
This cable can only be replaced if you buy another convertible top motor. BMW does not sell the cables sepparately, so you have to buy both the motor and cable togeather. it cost a wopping 314$ Good luck! The allen key does not work unless those cables are connected to the motor. Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 430i hardtop convertible coupe. 2003 X3 3.0, 6 speed, 2002 Nissan Frontier XE, 3.6 V6, 5 speed
100 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
This cable can only be replaced if you buy another convertible top motor. BMW does not sell the cables sepparately, so you have to buy both the motor and cable togeather. it cost a wopping 314$ Good luck! The allen key does not work unless those cables are connected to the motor. Good luck!
This is wrong information.The cables are part of the left and right top locks.....not the motor.Put 12V to the leads on motor...if it turns it's OK. Top lock assemblies are very expensive new.The cables are not repairable.They were ruined because the microswitch that shuts off the motor malfunctioned and the motor overturned the cables.This exact thing happened to my car and I got lucky and found a used set.Go look at ads for people parting out verts(check old ads too...thats what I did).This is a very complex and finicky part of the top mechanism.....good luck!!!!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts