BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought my 92 325i, it had this issue where sometimes when you completely press the clutch to the floor, it made this weird grinding sound. The previous owner gave me a new slave cylinder, so i decided to replace it. I removed the old one, put the new one on, and bled the system.

I dropped the car and tried to start it. It was in first at the time, and the car lurched forward even with the clutch all the way down. I took it out of first and now it won't go in gear at all. I tried to rebleed the slave cylinder and it didn't change anything. The shifter won't go in any gear, clutch in or out, and it doesn't matter if the car is running or not.

One thing I noticed is that in the hole where the slave cylinder piston went into, there was something loose. Did I break something or what?? I'm pretty sure it was the clutch fork but it's not exactly common for those to break?

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,938 Posts
It's rare for the clutch fork to break, but it's not uncommon for the fork to come off the pivot. However, the grinding you heard was probably the throwout bearing eating it's way through the clutch fork. Regardless, you're going to have to drop the transmission and take a look.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's rare for the clutch fork to break, but it's not uncommon for the fork to come off the pivot. However, the grinding you heard was probably the throwout bearing eating it's way through the clutch fork. Regardless, you're going to have to drop the transmission and take a look.
Well I'm not sure if I'd call it a grinding sound, it felt more like something was hitting the clutch. I really don't have the tools or time to drop the tranny, so I hope I figure something out...

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,938 Posts
If something was indeed loose in the bellhousing, you have no choice but to take the transmission off. There is nothing in there that should be loose, and there is no way to fix it with it still attached to the engine. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah much luck I just had my clutch replaced thankfully I got a great deal because my mechanic owns a drift e36 and his friend had a clutch laying new in box unused for whatever reason and sold it to me 70$ and my mechanic only charged me like 360 to do it.

But prepare for either one hell of a time doing it or one hell of a price to have it done

p.s if you have basic tools and a jack you could probably have it fixed if you have a little mechanical know how good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm getting kinda the same problem.. my clutch goes all the way down and doesn't disengage the clutch. No noise, nothing... replaced the slave and master cylinder.. I've tried everything people have told me.. I'm tying to see if there COULD be anything else before I drop the trans and have a look for myself..

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,938 Posts
Is the slave piston rod engaging the clutch fork? Is the clutch fork where it's supposed to be? Did you find any evidence of a failed throwout bearing (metal shavings) in the bellhousing and on the old slave cylinder?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts