BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was driving home from work with my Dad in my trusty E36. After we pull into the outer exit lane, we start passing all the bumper to bumper traffic on the left. (I-580 for anyone in the bay area...) All of a sudden, a fcuking huge ass white pickup truck SWERVES RIGHT into me as I am passing through his blind spot. I swerve so hard that most cars would lose traction, but here the E36 won! I broke hard into the right lane (thankfully no one was in MY blind spot) at about 45-50MPH and honked for about 7 seconds at him and not only did he not even LOOK now, about 20 seconds later I was about 150 feet behind and he did this swerve **** AGAIN!!!!!! Luckily no one was freaking killed. He would have drove right over my car and not felt a thing. Fcuker.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
You should've swerved back at him. See what happens.
And then if there is an accident, all the witness see is you swerving.

Not a good option in my opinion.

The best advise from a police point of view would be slow down, take details and call police. Let them deal with it.

Back to the post tho, I do think the E36 is a great handling car. Glad there was no accident in relation to the swerving.

Cone
XXX

·
<-----Sweet Jesus!
519 Posts
And then if there is an accident, all the witness see is you swerving.

Not a good option in my opinion.

The best advise from a police point of view would be slow down, take details and call police. Let them deal with it.

Back to the post tho, I do think the E36 is a great handling car. Glad there was no accident in relation to the swerving.

Cone
XXX
pretty sure he was joking.....:)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
pretty sure he was joking.....:)
He could have been joking mate. BUT, you know what im like...when it comes to road safety and driving, I dont joke...(Not in anyway trying to be rude or a smart ar5e)..

Anyway, where you been Platium...havnt seen you for awhile. Hows the E30 project going.

Cone
XXX

·
<-----Sweet Jesus!
519 Posts
He could have been joking mate. BUT, you know what im like...when it comes to road safety and driving, I dont joke...(Not in anyway trying to be rude or a smart ar5e)..

Anyway, where you been Platium...havnt seen you for awhile. Hows the E30 project going.

Cone
XXX
I've been around, just lurking. The project is going sllloooowwwly. I'm pretty busy during the summer months so things will go a bit faster on the car when work slows down. I work full time and have my own business so i usually work from around seven in the morning to around nine or ten at night, pretty close to everyday. I will keep updates on the project:thumbup:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
ASC should do more than just cut the throttle. I have VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) on my Landcruiser (Toyota's version).

What it does is if the car comes into a corner hot, and the computer determains that it may roll, it uses a few different avenues to 'regain the stability' of the car.

1. It can reduce throttle imput
2. It will apply the brakes at whatever wheel it needs to, to assist the car in becoming stable again.
3. Can slightly change transmission and steering inputs (only very slightly) to assist in the stablility process.

I dont know if BMW's stablility program is different but in theory, this is what there ment to do.

One last thing, the Landcruiser in normal driving is AWD, and I know that most BMW's are RWD, this may make a difference.

I havnt found the system on the 'Cruiser invasive. Altho, I dont think its a bad idea on a 3 ton Vehicle.

Just one last thing, from what everyone is describing, it sounds like the BMW has traction control, not a vehicle stability control program. Traction Control will just cut the throttle imput.

Cone
XXX

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I think the biggest problem is that car manufactures name every product with there own name. So with this in mind, I guess its possible for one item to have the same name a hundred times.

With Landcruisers they will either have Traction Control (T.C.) or a Vehicle Stability Control program (V.S.C.)

Both of the features use the brakes and throttle, but act in a very very different manner to each other.

Both are an option, just T.C. is about $1300, and V.S.C. is about $3000.

I have the V.S.C. on my car.

I do believe tho, that the inclusion of these opitions on motor vehicles make bad drivers think there good drivers, but then I also believe that these options do save lives, even if there knobhead drivers......

Cone
XXX

1 - 20 of 28 Posts