BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
31,079 Posts
Cool factor of a BMW V-12 under the hood? 10

Actual benefit of a BMW V-12? Not much. Now it's nose-heavy, and has too much power for the rear tires. They've taken a great-handling, well power-balanced car and killed the handling, plus loaded it with maintenance issues that will never go away (ask anyone that owns a BMW V-12). And then they have the temerity to ask ridiculous money for it. Really? :tsk:

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,474 Posts
I don't think that car even started life as a genuine M3, since it doesn't have the M3 side trim, rear M3 emblem, M3 front or rear bumper, rocker molding, and I don't believe it has M3 brakes, either. I don't know what the builder did to get the claimed 500hp out of the S70B56 V12, since they only came with 375hp from the factory, and the S70 in this car doesn't seem to have any apparent mods. The rest of the car looks like a cheap build. It's got a crappy dime store strut brace, bling wheels which don't fit properly, ugly corner lights, and a rear spoiler on top of a lip spoiler.

So basically, you have an early build non-M E36 with a heavy V12 up front (which might not even be the S70...), which is probably producing under 375hp, and the rest of the build is just cheap (and tacky) cosmetic bolt-on parts. That car is maybe worth $6k USD on a good day.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Don't 97 E36's have the later glove box arrangement..?
I thought the slide over button glove box was only on the earlier ones.
Maybe it's not a 97..?
Never noticed that there was more than one style of glove box, but my '97 just has a simple button, not like what of pictured in the link. A '97 would also have a different dash with passenger air bag. :dunno:

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,474 Posts
Don't 97 E36's have the later glove box arrangement..?
I thought the slide over button glove box was only on the earlier ones.
Maybe it's not a 97..?
That's correct. It doesn't have the dual airbag dash panel or repeater signals in the front fenders, which means that it's a pre-'94 car. It also doesn't have the facelifted kidney grills, which were introduced in late '96. So it's not an M3, and definitely not a '97. That car is misrepresented.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.