BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those of you who have performed the oil change on an e36 M3:

What tools will I need? I don't have a Bentley Manual and I will be doing the service at my fathers house as there is a good deal more space there. I will be taking whatever tools I have from my house and I am not sure what I should be looking to bring, other than the oil. TIA

JD

G

·
JD said:
Question for those of you who have performed the oil change on an e36 M3:

What tools will I need? I don't have a Bentley Manual and I will be doing the service at my fathers house as there is a good deal more space there. I will be taking whatever tools I have from my house and I am not sure what I should be looking to bring, other than the oil. TIA

JD
Oil, filter (which includes a fresh o-ring and a couple of washers - make sure they give you the correct filter - it has metal ends), a socket set and a catch basin are all you need. Unlike the E46s and non-M E36s, the oil filter housing is undone by a normal sized socket that would be in most sets (the others need a 36mm socket).

It's very easy to do. Follow the oil change DIYs for E46s (someone is sure to link one for you) and understand that the only difference is the filter housing.

·
Registered
337 Posts
yeah, thats all you need. 13mm wrench for the cap, 17mm wrench for the plug.

Actually, my 2.5 had a normal socket for the oil filter, but I heard the 328's have a large obnoxious thing. The 3.2 also has the same cap as the 2.5.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any suggestions for oil weight?

I'm going to use Mobil 1. It looks like the manual says 15w-40 for the temps in this area. Is this correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts