·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Re: Re: E36 M3 vs E46 M3 comparison post at the Org

Alex Baumann said:

that 321 hp Euro E36 M3 is a very serious automobile. A good buddy of mine has one and I had the opportunity to drive it once. Fast as a lightning.
I'm saving my pennies and I'm saving my dimes, but instead of a 409 maybe I'll eventually get a Euro motor for the M3.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I asked about the E36 vs E46 for the track to a friend of mine who has not only owned both as well as many Porsches (currently has an E46 M3) but who is also a racer. He asked me "What are you buying? a street car or a race car?"

He went on "If you are buying a street car the E46 is the one" If you are buying a race car BOTH fall short... go buy a real race car."

Makes sense to me! :thumb:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
in_d_haus said:
I asked about the E36 vs E46 for the track to a friend of mine who has not only owned both as well as many Porsches (currently has an E46 M3) but who is also a racer. He asked me "What are you buying? a street car or a race car?"

He went on "If you are buying a street car the E46 is the one" If you are buying a race car BOTH fall short... go buy a real race car."

EXACTLY

neither car is light at all :rolleyes:

The new M cars are SO much faster than thier prior generations, you have to be going MUCH faster than is legal to even feel like you are pushing it. For example, 110-140 is nothing for an M5 or M3 down a winding highway....

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
One of our clubs senior instructors talked to me about the E46 M3. He instructed in onw this past weekend. He said the car has such long legs that on the short and twisty course they never could wring it out. He did say due to the power the could go through 2nd gear corners in 3rd with no problem

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
in_d_haus said:
One of our clubs senior instructors talked to me about the E46 M3. He instructed in onw this past weekend. He said the car has such long legs that on the short and twisty course they never could wring it out. He did say due to the power the could go through 2nd gear corners in 3rd with no problem
yea, and this is funny

That 100% trick diff. It is so good that it's becoming a bore sometimes. In my E36, I can induce oversteer at will with the go pedal. With the E46, you'll need to feed SO MUCH power to get it that the oversteer that you induce tend to be qutie unruly. And no, I don't drive with DSC on, just like I never drove with ASC+T on.
Damn!! Effectively putting power down and keeping the rear end on track. What a shame! :tsk:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
atyclb said:
It's such a pig he was passing E36 M3's! :confused:

j/k TD
Well...The 100+ HP matters a lot.

And I think he's right on the border of being a B student anyway, he was also passing up M5s at will on the track, and he's giving up another 70+ hp on the M5s.

I will have to agree with some of what he says. However, he's never driven the E30 M3, and I think that was the ultimate M car besides the M1. I mean compared to the E30 M3 his E36 M3 was a pig with crappy steering.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
nate328Ci said:

yea, and this is funny

Damn!! Effectively putting power down and keeping the rear end on track. What a shame! :tsk:
Count your blessings you NEVER have to ride with this guy or drive on the same freeways. Everytime I rode with him he attemps to show what a powerslide looks like in his car.

And HE thinks I drive too fast on surface streets. Yeah.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Ya, my buddy the racer drives, among other things, a 1960s Lola. It has bad tires and drum brakes. He says you don't touch the brakes and just slide the car around the track if ya wanna be competitive at all. This is due to the lack of any technology in the car.

A judicious application of torque steer can be helpful at times but ya don't wanna go sliding the car around or your lap times will suffer generally.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
The HACK said:

Well...The 100+ HP matters a lot.

And I think he's right on the border of being a B student anyway, he was also passing up M5s at will on the track, and he's giving up another 70+ hp on the M5s.

I will have to agree with some of what he says. However, he's never driven the E30 M3, and I think that was the ultimate M car besides the M1. I mean compared to the E30 M3 his E36 M3 was a pig with crappy steering.
It doesn't suprise me that he was passing M5s. They only have a very slight power to weight advantage. The M5 is heavy and has an older design with an inferior LSD....I will be spending 2 days driving one at the track in a couple weeks :D

You are right about the E30 :p

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I think the biggest thing that all the E36 -vs- E46 threads point out is that evernew model has to go through the sarcasm before it is accepted.

The E36 got flamed bad for years by the E30 purists. Now we are seeing that same thing with the E46. When the next M3 comes out the E46 crowd will slam it and point out why the E46 is better.... the cycle never ends.

:D

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
The HACK said:

Count your blessings you NEVER have to ride with this guy or drive on the same freeways. Everytime I rode with him he attemps to show what a powerslide looks like in his car.

And HE thinks I drive too fast on surface streets. Yeah.
I'll take your word for it :eek:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
in_d_haus said:
I think the biggest thing that all the E36 -vs- E46 threads point out is that evernew model has to go through the sarcasm before it is accepted.

The E36 got flamed bad for years by the E30 purists. Now we are seeing that same thing with the E46. When the next M3 comes out the E46 crowd will slam it and point out why the E46 is better.... the cycle never ends.

:D
Exactly....

The E36 was quite a huge change when it came out. But, pretty much everyone now accepts it. Same with the E46 non-M now. I can only think of one person here who truly hates it :D

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
in_d_haus said:

Couldn't agree more. I've had 2 C5's (and of course, a bunch of other cars like A4 1.8T Q, 325is (E36), Golf, Ranger, etc). The E46 M3 is, overall, the best sports car I've had... :thumb:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
ALEX325i said:

Couldn't agree more. I've had 2 C5's (and of course, a bunch of other cars like A4 1.8T Q, 325is (E36), Golf, Ranger, etc). The E46 M3 is, overall, the best sports car I've had... :thumb:
:thumb:

You've had an E36?!?!?!

What a HUGE step down to the E46 M3 then ;) :lmao:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.