BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an e36 m3 two weeks back. Yesterday while on the highway, i downshifted from 5th to 4th going about 50mph, pushing the rpms to ~5500. At that moment i quietly blew black smoke, and lost throttle response. I drove a mile and then the oil light and battery light came on. I drove another mile to get somewhere to pull over, and when i stopped, the car died. Now the car will not start or stay running. I caught in in gear multiple times, each time it started and puttered a couple of feet until it stalled. The car started today 2 out of 2 times for about 5 seconds until dying. Starting fluid doesn't help so i don't ting fueling is an issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Have you checked your oil and coolant levels? Did it over heat just before you started having problems?

If you fluids are good and you didnt over heat you can start by checking to see if you have spark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

The car is not experiencing fuel pressure or temp issues. i cleaned the icv and it now starts and idles by itself ( before i had to constantly rev). But it idles around 600 and is extremely rough. i haven't noticed any vacuum leaks. When reving the car i do get white smoke after a while on the exhaust side of the car.

·
Just a kid with a toolbox
688 Posts
Ok well there is a few things here I find interesting. For starters, unless you have a swapped dif which is unlikley, 5th gear at 50mph will net you 2111rpm. Shifting to 4th at this time would put you at 2618 rpm. which still is no where near what you said. Now if you missed 4th and hit 2nd, you would be at 5257rpm which is what you said, and it is possible if you do not know your box well to do that.

As far as your issue, you have the symptoms of a over rev with bent valves. But EVEN if you did misshift and hit 5500ish rpm, you are not even close to an over rev. You need to do a leak down test. Also, check you CEL codes because it can't hurt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that could be a possibility, as it was only my 2cd day with the car. I do plan to do a compression test. I cant remember the exact codes but something along the line of an inaccurate fuel and air mix, Some misfire codes, bad cat, bad o2 sensor. I don't believe it is a bent valve just because it runs great when in high revs. it really seems to be over fueling.

·
Just a kid with a toolbox
688 Posts
that could be a possibility, as it was only my 2cd day with the car. I do plan to do a compression test. I cant remember the exact codes but something along the line of an inaccurate fuel and air mix, Some misfire codes, bad cat, bad o2 sensor. I don't believe it is a bent valve just because it runs great when in high revs. it really seems to be over fueling.
Well you have a shlt load of problems there and it would be a good idea to just start fixing them one by one. I'm sure there is piles of vacuum leaks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts