Bimmerfest BMW banner

401 - 420 of 423 Posts

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
Figured I'd bump this thread.

My Springfield XDM40, Ruger SR9, and Sig Saur P229 (duty gun) in the middle.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I want to shoot an XD, they're not Mass compliant so I can't get my hands on one here, but I really liked how the XDS 9mm looked in a magazine.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
Why aren't they compliant there?

I think I'm going to sell the SR9 to get a subcompact XDM40 or maybe 9mm.

Because Springfield refuses to send in any of their pistols for testing. much like how Glock refuses to put a legitimate "chamber loaded" indicator on the pistol and only LEOs can buy them here. However they are actually compliant and legal to own. Any pistol sold here has to go through testing by some independant org set up by the state AG and only once they deem it practical and safe can it be sold to "civilians" I have my gen4 G23 and im clutching onto that thing for as long as I have to live here :rofl:

·
Santa
3,096 Posts
Hey guys getting my pistol license in August. Around this time I'll also be getting an apartment and etc. So that means protection/carry pistol. I've looked at several Walther's and really enjoy the quality of the gun. I really don't know much about pistols ( I have shot and disassembled several) But I have no clue as to what is the best for carry/self defense. Input is appreciated guys. Money is an object. No more than about 600 bucks.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
Hey guys getting my pistol license in August. Around this time I'll also be getting an apartment and etc. So that means protection/carry pistol. I've looked at several Walther's and really enjoy the quality of the gun. I really don't know much about pistols ( I have shot and disassembled several) But I have no clue as to what is the best for carry/self defense. Input is appreciated guys. Money is an object. No more than about 600 bucks.
the best thing you can do is buy something that you're comfortable with. Also take into consideration how well it will conceal in the summertime as well as winter. That said. there's tons of single stack 9mm handguns on the market that'll fit the bill nicely.

·
Santa
3,096 Posts
the best thing you can do is buy something that you're comfortable with. Also take into consideration how well it will conceal in the summertime as well as winter. That said. there's tons of single stack 9mm handguns on the market that'll fit the bill nicely.
I was looking at several guns in the .40 range. I know it's a huge debate vs 9mm. However, as you said Kenny I'm looking for something I can holster inside my belt. I'm a pretty skinny guy so it really shouldn't be an issue. I've shot several Walthers and here's what my choices have come down too.
PPS- Compact. 40 and 9mm applications...http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/pps/#.UuMiILQo7IU
PPQ M2- Full size- http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/ppq-m2/#.UuMiabQo7IU
P99- Really nice gun the width of the frame and the length seems as though it'd be troublesome however a compact version is available which is quite appealing. http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/p99/#.UuMi1LQo7IU

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
I was looking at several guns in the .40 range. I know it's a huge debate vs 9mm. However, as you said Kenny I'm looking for something I can holster inside my belt. I'm a pretty skinny guy so it really shouldn't be an issue. I've shot several Walthers and here's what my choices have come down too.
PPS- Compact. 40 and 9mm applications...http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/pps/#.UuMiILQo7IU
PPQ M2- Full size- http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/ppq-m2/#.UuMiabQo7IU
P99- Really nice gun the width of the frame and the length seems as though it'd be troublesome however. -http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/p99/
I really don't know enough about them to advise you on one, the best I can say is to go shoot them at a rental range if there even is one and see which one you like best. My Glock is a .40 I like it, and am more than confident in it's ability to royal **** up someone's day but I'm not a caliber snob, and I do think that 9mm is the most practical and versatile round on the market.

·
Santa
3,096 Posts
I really don't know enough about them to advise you on one, the best I can say is to go shoot them at a rental range if there even is one and see which one you like best. My Glock is a .40 I like it, and am more than confident in it's ability to royal **** up someone's day but I'm not a caliber snob, and I do think that 9mm is the most practical and versatile round on the market.
Awesome, that's the info I was looking for, thanks Kenny! Okay,9mm it is I've thought that several times shooting 9mm vs .40 ....what good is the extra stopping power if you can't hit your target on follow up's due to recoil. :dunno: The p99c AS 9mm is the one I've been looking at intently. I may have my brother go test shoot one and give me some feedback. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Awesome, that's the info I was looking for, thanks Kenny! Okay,9mm it is I've thought that several times shooting 9mm vs .40 ....what good is the extra stopping power if you can't hit your target on follow up's due to recoil. :dunno: The p99c AS 9mm is the one I've been looking at intently. I may have my brother go test shoot one and give me some feedback. :thumbup:
don't take his word for it, tag along and squeeze the trigger for yourself! I find the recoil pretty manageable on the G23, however if I lived in a state where we weren't limited to 10 round mags, I'd have gone with the G19 because it's the exact same gun but can hold more than 15 rounds and is compact enough to conceal but large enough to fight with. I cannot stress enough the fact that you need to go shoot a few guns for yourself and decide based off of your personal experience

·
Santa
3,096 Posts
don't take his word for it, tag along and squeeze the trigger for yourself! I find the recoil pretty manageable on the G23, however if I lived in a state where we weren't limited to 10 round mags, I'd have gone with the G19 because it's the exact same gun but can hold more than 15 rounds and is compact enough to conceal but large enough to fight with. I cannot stress enough the fact that you need to go shoot a few guns for yourself and decide based off of your personal experience
Will do. Thanks again Kenny.

·
Premium Member
14,835 Posts
New shooter here also.

Your criteria are close to mine.

I ended up buying a full size S&W M&P in 9mm, stock #209301 in November at my local Gander Mountain for $500, and am very happy with it.

I started by going to local ranges for six months, and shooting a variety of pistols; Beretta, Glocks, H&K, Sig; I even shot a buddy's Luger P.08.

I picked the M&P because of the overall ergonomics, price point, accuracy, reliabilty, ambidextrous slide lock, reversible magazine catch, ability to field strip without pulling the trigger, steel sights and guide rod, 17 round magazine capacity and just overall 'fit' for both me (lefty) and my wife (righty).

It was not perfect out of the box. You hear about M&P triggers, and this one sucked. Gritty, flexy, with a curious hinged lower part. Solved the trigger by getting my local gun shop to install ($35) an Apex Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit ($89) (striker block and sear.) I also ordered and installed an Apex polymer trigger ($40). The trigger action is vastly improved.

I also added a set of Trijicon HD yellow tritium night sights ($153) as a personal preference over the stock steel posts. Very bright, and makes it easy for me to focus on the front sight. I'm not a great shot by any stretch, but I'm getting 2" - 3" groups normally at 21'/7 yards. Slightly low right, but I'm working on it.

So, bottom line, I ended up spending a bit more than the base $500, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. There are a lot of very good polymer service pistols in the $500-$600 price point these days.

I believe two of the most recommended are the Glock 19 and the S&W M&P line. I shot the Glock twice, and for whatever reason the grip just did not suit me. I also felt some slide bite with the short beavertail; but this was likely lack of experience.

I think either a Glock 19 or the M&P would make a great choice.

My 0.02; good luck

Rich

·
Santa
3,096 Posts
New shooter here also.

Your criteria are close to mine.

I ended up buying a full size S&W M&P in 9mm, stock #209301 in November at my local Gander Mountain for $500, and am very happy with it.

I started by going to local ranges for six months, and shooting a variety of pistols; Beretta, Glocks, H&K, Sig; I even shot a buddy's Luger P.08.

I picked the M&P because of the overall ergonomics, price point, accuracy, reliabilty, ambidextrous slide lock, reversible magazine catch, ability to field strip without pulling the trigger, steel sights and guide rod, 17 round magazine capacity and just overall 'fit' for both me (lefty) and my wife (righty).

It was not perfect out of the box. You hear about M&P triggers, and this one sucked. Gritty, flexy, with a curious hinged lower part. Solved the trigger by getting my local gun shop to install ($35) an Apex Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit ($89) (striker block and sear.) I also ordered and installed an Apex polymer trigger ($40). The trigger action is vastly improved.

I also added a set of Trijicon HD yellow tritium night sights ($153) as a personal preference over the stock steel posts. Very bright, and makes it easy for me to focus on the front sight. I'm not a great shot by any stretch, but I'm getting 2" - 3" groups normally at 21'/7 yards. Slightly low right, but I'm working on it.

So, bottom line, I ended up spending a bit more than the base $500, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. There are a lot of very good polymer service pistols in the $500-$600 price point these days.

I believe two of the most recommended are the Glock 19 and the S&W M&P line. I shot the Glock twice, and for whatever reason the grip just did not suit me. I also felt some slide bite with the short beavertail; but this was likely lack of experience.

I think either a Glock 19 or the M&P would make a great choice.

My 0.02; good luck

Rich
Very cool, thanks for the input. :thumbup:
The common theme seems to be actually test the guns and see which ones fit you.

·
Back in the game
1,629 Posts
Figured I'd bump this thread.

My Springfield XDM40, Ruger SR9, and Sig Saur P229 (duty gun) in the middle.

I've been looking to add another sig to the collection. How do you like the 229? Is it a DAK model? I've been leaning towards a 226 in 9mm.

·
Premium Member
14,835 Posts
Very cool, thanks for the input. :thumbup:
The common theme seems to be actually test the guns and see which ones fit you.
Pretty much.

Most people I talked to said to be comfortable, first.

Shooting tends to allow you to find things that don't show up when you just handle a firearm at the counter.

Oh, forgot to add, a big plus for the M&P for me was the option of three user-replaceable back straps that come with the pistol. Takes about thirty seconds to swap. I use the 'small' and find it very comfortable.

·
Needs Boost
12,111 Posts
I've been looking to add another sig to the collection. How do you like the 229? Is it a DAK model? I've been leaning towards a 226 in 9mm.
DAK? Sorry I'm new to Sigs.

It's alright, but the trigger feel is nothing even remotely as nice as my XDM. And it only has a 12 round magazine, whereas my XDM has a 16 round.

·
Back in the game
1,629 Posts
DAK? Sorry I'm new to Sigs.

It's alright, but the trigger feel is nothing even remotely as nice as my XDM. And it only has a 12 round magazine, whereas my XDM has a 16 round.
DAK stands for double action kellerman. It's sig's double action only trigger. I only ask because the hammer looks different than I've seen. Theyve got single action only triggers and the usual DA/SA which you can get the short reset trigger (SRT) for the SA shots. The 226 triggers I've tried are way nicer than my SR9. Even my P238 is crisper.

·
Premium Member
14,835 Posts
^^^ cool, did not know.

To me, I prefer the consistency of a striker-fired/no safety/squeeze=bang pistol like a Glock or an M&P.

I did shoot a few rounds out of a rental Sig (P229?) and it felt very nicely made.

401 - 420 of 423 Posts