BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 325i Convertible that all of the sudden started overheating with no warning. I replaced the thermosat and fan cluth and aux. fan is working fine. The guage is still reading hot. What is the standard operating temperature for and e36? Can anyone help?

·
Registered
423 Posts
not likely the guage as they rarely ever go bad. usually the temp should be in the middle after it has warmed up. try replacing the water pump, they tend to go

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm trusting you did a full bleed of the system after replaceing the thermostat. If so, and your coolant level is still at the 'cold' mark, you might try the pump. Although if the pump was gone you would have a rapid temp increase into the red. Is this what you're observing?

·
Registered
432 Posts
sorry to hijack the thread....but i've posted this like 3 times now and haven't gotten a response:

hmm...when I run my car without the heater/AC on, the temp needle goes fully to the middle of the gauge. When I turn the climate control on, the temp gauge falls back to nearly 1/4 of the gauge, is this normal operation for the gauge or do I have something wrong? I've never experienced the needle moving so much in any of my previous cars simply from using the climate control.

·
Registered
423 Posts
sorry to hijack the thread....but i've posted this like 3 times now and haven't gotten a response:

hmm...when I run my car without the heater/AC on, the temp needle goes fully to the middle of the gauge. When I turn the climate control on, the temp gauge falls back to nearly 1/4 of the gauge, is this normal operation for the gauge or do I have something wrong? I've never experienced the needle moving so much in any of my previous cars simply from using the climate control.

·
vek-mw
1,154 Posts
probably not a bad thermostat but one that opens at a lower temp than stocks thuz causing ur engine to be cool most of the time and when u run ur aux fan all the time then the temp will probably drop

·
Registered
423 Posts
its funny you mention the fan, i couldnt get the aux to turn on, or does it turn on automatically as needed ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 94 325i Convertible that all of the sudden started overheating with no warning. I replaced the thermosat and fan cluth and aux. fan is working fine. The guage is still reading hot. What is the standard operating temperature for and e36? Can anyone help?
Replace the water pump..... The way you can tell if it is working is start the engine when it is cold and open the radiator resivoir look in it and see if the coolant is moveing around... kinda like a whirlpool.... If not then the water pump is bad...

·
vek-mw
1,154 Posts
its funny you mention the fan, i couldnt get the aux to turn on, or does it turn on automatically as needed ?
1) theres a temp sensor in the radiator that switches the aux fan on and off.
2) when u turn ur the ac on.

Now if u havent overhaul ur cooling system do it. replace water pump, hoses, tsat & housing, flush ur system. finally bleed ur system.

·
Registered
423 Posts
1) theres a temp sensor in the radiator that switches the aux fan on and off.
2) when u turn ur the ac on.

Now if u havent overhaul ur cooling system do it. replace water pump, hoses, tsat & housing, flush ur system. finally bleed ur system.
thats the thing it doesnt turn not with or without the a/c as far as ive seen lol :dunno:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've had this problem before. If the car runs 4 30 or so min then gets hot your radiator is probably clogged to some degree. If poor quality / non factory coolant was used it tends to leave deposits in the tubes inside the raydiator. Hope this helps.

·
FixItFaster
1,936 Posts
I've had this problem before. If the car runs 4 30 or so min then gets hot your radiator is probably clogged to some degree. If poor quality / non factory coolant was used it tends to leave deposits in the tubes inside the raydiator. Hope this helps.
The whole "you have to use factory coolant" deal is a scam for the company to make money, all coolants to some extent are the same, except of course the cheap no-name stuff and long life coolants which should only be used in cars that were originally meant to use it, but as long as the car has had annual or even semi-annual coolant flushes throughout its life it shouldn't clog anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts