BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a 1994 325 conv. However, an investigation has shown the power hood is less than reliable. I have contacted the previous owner and he says all i need to do is release the motors via the lever under the back seat and then click them back in place.

How simple is this to do? Does anyone know of any diagrams?
Presumably this problem could be fixed at a BMW garage?

Thoughts?

Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, it's relatively easy. There are 2 motors, both are in the trunk behind the felt wall covering that you must first pull back. The tricky part comes when you have to have both the trunk and the rear deck cover open at the same time. There is an interlock in the system that prevents this from happening that you have to temporarily overide. Be very careful because the clearence between the top pf the two painted surfaces (the trunk and the edge of the deck lid) will go to zero if you don't pay attention. If you have an alert assistant, it should be no problem at all.

A service manual is a good idea, as mentioned by Handsome Rob.

Ciao!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I read from the owners manual that the straps under the rear seats is only for emergenry closing.
(i.e. you've opened the hood and it's raining you need to close it but it got stuck/out of batt, etc...)

Once you've use the strap to dislodge the motor, it will need to back to BMW service to reset/recommect it.

Fact or Myth, not too sure :dunno: . Might pay to find out a bit more.

Edited for typo.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
johnwaz said:
Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a 1994 325 conv. However, an investigation has shown the power hood is less than reliable. I have contacted the previous owner and he says all i need to do is release the motors via the lever under the back seat and then click them back in place.

How simple is this to do? Does anyone know of any diagrams?
Presumably this problem could be fixed at a BMW garage?

Cheers
Do you mean that it wont open or close now?...

Early E36 convertibles had poor quality top straps that WILL fail eventually. Top straps are like long flat bungee cords that help to retract the top. Once the elasticity of the straps is gone the top will be more difficult to open. Closing is not affected.

As for the motor reset...
It is a DIY procedure.
It will take about 45 minutes start to finish.
There are two motors to reset and then you must go through a syncronization procedure.

Both motors are on the left side of the trunk and will require that you remove the trunk lining.

One motor is very easy to pop in place they other (behind the rear wheel well) is in a bit of an odd position. the motor is pulled towards you, not up like the other motor.

A dealer will charge you ~$150 to do this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers,

It seems this is a fairly well known problem.

Do you know of a Website / UK manual that includes the reset procedure?

Why does this problem occur? Is it a design problem.

I spoke to BMW, they couldn't wait to book the car in and take my money!

Thanks

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
Well there shouldnt be very many reasons that you would have to pull the red cord that disengages the motors.

I have had my car for a couple of years now and the only reason I had to reset the motors was because my wife took the car one day and freaked when the top wouldnt go down smoothly (due to the top strap issue) so she consulted the manual which recommended pulling the cord.

Again, the top strap issue will only affect you putting the top down....it will still go up with no problem.

Unless your top is down and your car has no electrics there should be no reason for you to have to pull the cord to put the top up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts