BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 97 318i and really love it. I just came back from my mechanic for a state inspection, he said the rear springs were bad, replacing them would cost $700. I do hear noises from the rear after they took away the broken parts of the springs. The mechanic said I could buy the springs myself and they'd charge the labor. If anyone here could tell me what the labor fee should be and some vendor information I would be grateful. Thanks !!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I found some lowering springs on ebay, are they exactly what I want? By the name I suppose they are going to lower the chassis and should replace both front and rear springs. Thanks!!!

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
$700?!?!

You can buy some aftermarket lowering springs for around $250 and get them installed for maybe $2-300. You really should look up the procedure to see if you are able to them yourself. You just need to rent/order a spring compressor for a day and use your regular tools. It really isn't that hard at all.

I would think 700 is way too much and it would be cheaper to do them yourself.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
For the same price you can get some good performance springs and shocks (YES, you need to change to different shocks with lowering springs, the stock shocks aren't compatible with the added compression from the lowering springs. Don't bother with eBay POS. Performance springs + shocks will end up running you around $700, but you'll end up with a much better cornering and looking ride.

Also, are you sure about the spring being broken? That's not exactly a common failure item, it's just a piece of metal that's wound around, not much to break. If you're hearing a noise, have you checked your rear shock mounts and the bolts that hold the shocks in to the suspension?

·
Turn Burglar
12,282 Posts
lol rear springs are so easy to change.. takes like 25 minutes
Yes, this. ^

Absolutely no reason to pay to have that simple job done, unless you're just rolling in money and drive an E36 by choice even though you can probably afford a fleet of E92 M3's. And you dont look like Jon S to me. :rofl:

·
FixItFaster
1,936 Posts
Also, are you sure about the spring being broken? That's not exactly a common failure item, it's just a piece of metal that's wound around, not much to break. If you're hearing a noise, have you checked your rear shock mounts and the bolts that hold the shocks in to the suspension?
I've replaced several broken springs (granted on older vehicles) since I started working where I am now. :dunno:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes, this. ^

Absolutely no reason to pay to have that simple job done, unless you're just rolling in money and drive an E36 by choice even though you can probably afford a fleet of E92 M3's. And you dont look like Jon S to me. :rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I LOVE THIS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the suggestions! I really appreciate it. I want to do it myself but my only experience is repairing a front door mirror. BTW my good friend who doesn't have a car is pregnant (due in next 2 weeks) and want me on call to help out. So I really want to get it fixed ASAP. Anyway I'll call other mechanics to get the minimum fees. If anyone here who is around Pittsburgh area can give me more info on suspension shops or help out, that'll be great! Thanks again for your inputs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts