Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats up guys im new to the bmw community this is my first car a 1995 bmw 325i i bought of an old man across the street with 114k miles car was bought buy the guy and put 7k$ worth of work into it he never drove it on the rode his wife wouldnt let him it was never even insure or registered by him its been sitting in his garage for 8 years and it runs but its pretty rough running at the moment he replaced radiator and hose has reciepts what should i have done to this car before i put it on the road?

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Fuel system flush for sure. The injectors will most likely need replaced or atleast properly cleaned. Change the oil also. Inspect everything for leaks b/c the gaskets could be dried up from setting.

·
Old Soul
2,946 Posts
First order of business is to write a post with punctuation. My eyes glazed over after the first 10 words.

·
StrangeBMW
30 Posts
True that Shigeta!

Miguel, I would drain/flush the coolant system in addition to B1MM3R's post above. Better look at the tires for sure. They are probably hard and cracked from sitting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brand new tires installled by the guy 0 miles on them. they are not cracked or anything like that im mainly worried about the engine

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
brand new tires installled by the guy 0 miles on them.
I would replace them. Tires deteriorate even if you don't use them. Ten years is the limit, here, yours are approaching twenty!

If you had a blowout, here, and totalled the car, the insurance could and probably would pay you nothing.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
Oh, I misread that. I shall try my best to wrap my mind around brand new, four year old tires.

It is a shame your neighbor didn't get a chance to drive his car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i havent driven it myself either are these things quick just tapping the gas the thing whants to jump off the rmp gauge lol.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Welcome to the 'Fest! As James indicated, in this forum we insist on complete sentences, proper grammar, and proper punctuation. It's a respect thing. The core group here is one of the most knowledgeable you'll find on the E36 and we'll spend all kinds of our own time helping you solve a problem. All we ask in return is that you spend a few extra seconds with your post to enable us to better read and understand what you're asking.

For mid 1990's technology, they are very high performance. Compared to 2010-2103 where performance has become a selling point again, they fall a bit short. The E36 is still an outstanding sports car overall though. Handling is more the car's forte than pure speed.
I auto cross with mine and on courses that put a premium on turning my '96 is very competitive with anything late model in its class. On a course that puts a premium on acceleration it shows its age.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks alot i feel part of a family now. I am sorry from the way i typed out the post earlier. You must forgive me i am still in school and learning. Lets just say punctuations are my weaknesses when it come to proper grammar.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
This forum will definitely help fix that! :)

And guibo is actually spelled giubo in case that ever comes up and you want to keep Jared off you case. :rofl:

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Things to do:

- Coolant flush
- Brake fluid flush
- Siphon fuel from tank, add fresh fuel + fuel system cleaner
- Replace fuel filter
- Change oil & oil filter

If it runs roughly after doing everything above, you should:

- Check the spark plugs, replace if necessary
- Check for vacuum leaks
- Check fuel injectors, buy remanufactured set if needed

Also, keep a close eye on your tires. Even if they have barely been used, tires are considered to be at the end of their life at about 5 years old, regardless of mileage. The rubber compound becomes hard and brittle, and the risk of a flat or blowout increases at that time.

·
still learnin'
5,031 Posts
Things to do:

- Coolant flush
- Brake fluid flush
- Siphon fuel from tank, add fresh fuel + fuel system cleaner
- Replace fuel filter
- Change oil & oil filter

If it runs roughly after doing everything above, you should:

- Check the spark plugs, replace if necessary
- Check for vacuum leaks
- Check fuel injectors, buy remanufactured set if needed

Also, keep a close eye on your tires. Even if they have barely been used, tires are considered to be at the end of their life at about 5 years old, regardless of mileage. The rubber compound becomes hard and brittle, and the risk of a flat or blowout increases at that time.
I agree with all this.

and for the love of BMW, PICTURES! (they, along with punctuation and such, is required).

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,141 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
are the fuel system cleaners safe? I always have had a weird feeling about them. If I do have to get a fuel system cleaner what should I use?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts