Bimmerfest BMW banner

281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
indeed, ken. not to get political but there is really no need for anyone to be without proper medical care, so many other civilized countries do it, but it's 'murica....:(

don't feel bad, though. there are :(lots of people willing to help, i am sure.

df

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,112 Posts
I carried a very good health insurance for the 43 years and three jobs I worked, and for 31 of those years I paid for a supplimental cancer policy. When the job of 28 years went away in the 2009 economic slide, I had to chose the health policy or cancer policy. I couldn't afford both. If I had the money I poured into that cancer policy all those years, I'd be in good shape. Like they say, you pay your money and you take your chances....

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,112 Posts
I got some really not good news today from the biopsy two weeks ago.
Dr. Keel (urologist) says my bladder has to come out. Cancer continues to grow. Starting to invade the muscle around the bladder. Scheduled for surgery Oct. 22 at 7:30 in the morning. I have to be there at 5:30. Argh. That was the first open date he had. I hope it's not waiting too long. They were hoping the chemo would work. The type of cancer I have is resistant to chemo, but they tried the two kinds of chemicals that work the best and they didn't have any effect. The doctor drew me a chart of the progression of treatment. We ran out of options after the last resection/biopsy. It's gone from low grade to high grade, fast growing. Fortunately not considered aggressive....yet.
Sorry to burden you guys with this. I had to tell somebody. Pretty down right now.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I got some really not good news today from the biopsy two weeks ago.
Dr. Keel (urologist) says my bladder has to come out. Cancer continues to grow. Starting to invade the muscle around the bladder. Scheduled for surgery Oct. 22 at 7:30 in the morning. I have to be there at 5:30. Argh. That was the first open date he had. I hope it's not waiting too long. They were hoping the chemo would work. The type of cancer I have is resistant to chemo, but they tried the two kinds of chemicals that work the best and they didn't have any effect. The doctor drew me a chart of the progression of treatment. We ran out of options after the last resection/biopsy. It's gone from low grade to high grade, fast growing. Fortunately not considered aggressive....yet.
Sorry to burden you guys with this. I had to tell somebody. Pretty down right now.
Horn, I'm awfully sorry to hear about your cancer & how it is progressing. Keep a positive attitude and do the best you can. That's all anyone can do. I'll say a prayer for you and often!

Joe

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Ken, I don't know what else to say other than I'm very sorry to hear about the recent news. I'll keep you in my thoughts and send all my positive vibes in your direction.

indeed, ken. not to get political but there is really no need for anyone to be without proper medical care, so many other civilized countries do it, but it's 'murica....:(

df
This.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
so sorry to hear, ken. what does the doctor recommend in the meantime between now and surgery?? it confuses and confounds me, honestly...and even makes me a bit upset that you have to wait almost 2 months. :yikes:

df

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,112 Posts
Thursday (Aug. 30) I had a CT scan of my entire chest and abdomen. Previously they'd only scanned my lower abdomen (bladder area). I HOPE they're just being cautious, but I get the impression they think there's more going on than just bladder cancer. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. I have the follow-up appointment to the CT scan coming up, and I've got a long list of questions I'm asking. #1 on the list is why the heck are we waiting almost 2 months to remove a cancerous mass that is now fast growing and high grade? I don't want to have my bladder removed any more than any one else would, but if that's what it takes to save me from dying of cancer, let's get to it! They made my brother wait two months last year, and by then the cancer had moved up one ureter into his kidney. :tsk: He's going to have the kidney removed.

I've got to apologize. I never meant for this thread to morph into a thread about me. It's supposed to be about Amber, the amazing stuff she did with Ashlyn, and how I took that car under my care after her untimely departure from this life. I was talking to Amber's mom recently, and I told her Amber would be SO MAD at me for "getting" cancer. When I started having symptoms early in 2017 (and my GP thought it was just a persistent UTI), I told Amber somewhat jokingly that it could be bladder cancer. She got mad at me, like it was a choice I made! At the time I didn't think that's what it was, and it was after Amber was gone that I was diagnosed. She never knew I had cancer, for which I'm happy. It would have been just something else to worry her.

Here's a couple of (hopefully) uplifting pictures from 8 years ago (EIGHT YEARS!!! MY GOD!!!). Amber came over for some help with a couple of minor things on Ashlyn. Knowing she was coming, I made her a clock, and talked her in to driving my zero-turning radius mower. She loved the clock (Sean has it now), and for someone that drove like maniac, she was terrified of driving that mower! :rofl:

Attachments

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,112 Posts
I made a trip back to Louisiana to see Amber's mom Missy and Sean, to pick up the rest of the pieces that came with Ashlyn. Mainly two sets of wheels and tires, and a pile of worn out 255-35-18s. Amber was really hard on rear tires. ;) I told Sean I'd dispose of the tires for him. They were both doing a little better after having been through a whole year plus without Amber being there. Birthdays, holidays, anniversaries and such.

We are in the process of moving to the house I inherited from my mom. It's a good bit bigger than our house, and in much better condition, plus it's much more handicapped accessible. My wife Kathy is going to have her right knee replaced early next year. She had her left knee replaced 4 years ago, but now her right one is in even worse condition than the left was when it was replaced....but first I have to recover from the cancer surgery I'm having next Monday. I'll be in the hospital 5-7 days, and possibly in a rehab facility for a couple weeks before coming home. I'll have home health care for a few months after that, and the bigger bedroom will help with that. Our bedroom here is so small you can't change your mind in it! :lmao:

So I'm going to be off-line for a while starting Sunday night. I'll be back ASAP!

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,082 Posts
Sending our prayers to you and your family and best wishes for a speedy recovery. :thumbup:

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,112 Posts
Thanks for all the prayers and well-wishes! I'm a lot better after a rough couple months. Having your insides rearranged isn't pleasant, but the cancer is supposed to be all gone. I'm back to limited work on my cars, but have to fix my daughter's Grand Am first. Something that the serpentine belt drives is dragging sufficiently that the belt is squealing and smoking. I suspect the power steering pump.
Update on Ashlyn's restoration:
I'm looking into getting her wrapped rather than attempt reproducing the art work in paint. I have several pretty good pictures of the hood when the graphics were new, but I'd welcome any pictures you have of the car when it was at BimmerfestEast in 2013.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts

Attachments

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,112 Posts
Thanks! Any pictures showing even a little bit of the hood will help. I was told that the car drew a lot of attention at BFE2013, but I've looked through hundreds of pictures and videos posted on line of that event, and I can't find a single one. :(

281 - 293 of 293 Posts