BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hows everyone doing today?? Anyway I just wanted to get your guys opinion on this and i'll try to make it quick. Basically im 17 years old and i have an E36 right now...

I know the E36 really arent that great luxury cars and there not that reliable but it does get me around and it IS a BMW :D. But ya im just kind of curious. I obviously know you guys would rather tell everyone to just get an E90 since you all drive one and love it but lets be realistic...

I dont know what the right choice for me would be. Im gonna get a new car in a couple of months. Its between a newer E36 most probably an M3.. or an E46 around '02 or 03'.. or im gonna lease a brand new E90.

Im gonna pay for some of the car cause im not a spoiled bratt :D but like my parents are concerned with the car being reliable because im gonna go to college soon and be driving alot...

I was hoping you guys could help me out... Im just kinda curious and i need help deciding!

thanks guys :bigpimp:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh and I forgot to mention.. They are offering to lease me a brand new camry or honda or something along the lines but i refused and i would prefer a BMW...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahah 330 those things are monsters and theres no way in hell my parents would ever let me have a relatively new M3. Their animals and i really dont like the prefacelift turn signals in my opinion its ugly as **** that way

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
E36
E46
E90...

E46 is the best of the three

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
E36
E46
E90...

Ya as of right now im leaning towards a 330I or CI either one and preferably a ZHP. But the way gas prices are going... I think a 325 would be better lol.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Hahah 330 those things are monsters and theres no way in hell my parents would ever let me have a relatively new M3. Their animals and i really dont like the prefacelift turn signals in my opinion its ugly as **** that way
Look into an '04-'06 (coupe) e46 330ci or 04-05 (sedan) e46 330i ZHP. Check out the e46 Wiki for more info on the ZHP's. Good compromise for the parents, in between a 330i and an M3. You'll be a happy guy.

Edit: Looks like you are already considering the ZHP. I would get that, undoubtedly. But, make sure you get the ZHP checked out by an indi BMW mechanic if it is not CPO. Also, have them replace the alcantara steering wheel w/ the M3 steering wheel, check out the e46 forum for the reasons.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look into an '04-'06 (coupe) e46 330ci or 04-05 (sedan) e46 330i ZHP. Check out the e46 Wiki for more info on the ZHP's. Good compromise for the parents, in between a 330i and an M3. You'll be a happy guy.

Edit: Looks like you are already considering the ZHP. I would get that, undoubtedly. But, make sure you get the ZHP checked out by an indi BMW mechanic if it is not CPO. Also, have them replace the alcantara steering wheel w/ the M3 steering wheel, check out the e46 forum for the reasons.
Ya dude thanks alot this is what im thinking. But like I said with gas prices going up... I duno if the 330 is gonna be a good choice... I freaking had to pay like 445 today for 91 thats just crazy. Is there anything like a 325 ZHP or something along the lines??? lol... :confused:

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,961 Posts
Ya as of right now im leaning towards a 330I or CI either one and preferably a ZHP. But the way gas prices are going... I think a 325 would be better lol.
Bingo!! End of search. Okie dokie, we can close this thread now. :) Tell ma and pa BMWFS is offering to make the first two payments and give ya 2.9% (36 months) or 3.9% (48 - 60 months) financing on '05 CPO's right now (until the end of June). BMWFS will prolly extend the low rate financing, but whether they extend making the first two payments is anyone's guess. Be sure to remind them that a CPO will make sure there are no costly repairs while your working your little mind off there at college.

btw - there won't be enough difference in fuel economy to come anywhere close to justifying the lesser 325.

Ya dude thanks alot this is what im thinking. But like I said with gas prices going up... I duno if the 330 is gonna be a good choice... I freaking had to pay like 445 today for 91 thats just crazy. Is there anything like a 325 ZHP or something along the lines??? lol... :confused:
Blasphemy!!!!

·
2009 335i M sport
241 Posts
3321 457.jpg Ran an 02 325Ci CPO for 2 years with 2.9% financing and running costs, insurance and fuel economy were not much higher than my 03 Eclipse Sypder GT.

·
2009 335i M sport
241 Posts
BTW It was a very reliable car no, suspension, transmisson, engine, or electrical issues, sold it with 82kmiles

·
Registered
15 Posts
E36
E46
E90...

Two words:

Rear Subframe.

P.S. I had two E46 and I loved them both. However the long term ownership coupled with known rear subframe issues are not favoring the E46 and the E36.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm... I was just asking cause like I got alot of criticism for wanting an M3 supposedly since im a teenager i cant handle it and if i get a brand new car (E90) im gonna mess it up..

So I think the E46 is a good option for me. Does everyone agree? lol

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Two words:

Rear Subframe.

P.S. I had two E46 and I loved them both. However the long term ownership coupled with known rear subframe issues are not favoring the E46 and the E36.
What rear subframe problems did you have w/ your e46's? There were definite subframe issues w/ the 99's and 00's, but for they were ironed out by the time '02 came around. I don't think the OP has to worry about subframe issues with a late model e46, if you check the e46 forum, the issues were only with the early model e46's.

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
Oh and I forgot to mention.. They are offering to lease me a brand new camry or honda or something along the lines but i refused and i would prefer a BMW...
Why does this feel like "I Am Baiting You Because You Drive A Ford"?

BJ

·
Registered
571 Posts
I guess I'm going to be the lone dissenter here, and not encourage someone just entering college to purchase an older, high-maintenance vehicle. Take mommy and daddy up on their offer to lease you a brand new, reliable, Japanese car, and get yourself the BMW you really want after graduation day. If you want at least a little bit of driving fun in your appliance, try an Accord V6 Coupe, or an Altima SE-R. Either one should get you from kegger to kegger just fine :angel:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts