BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it says really. I smashed off my wing mirror going down a country lane and have now got a replacement mirror from a scrappy (wrong colour housing) and another mirror which is the right colour housing but wrong size mirror (one mirror is from a saloon and one for a coupe and i have a coupe and yes the metal fitting bits are different sizes but the actual mirrors are the same size so i want to swap one for another)

anywaaayy does anyone know how to do this as i would like to really not break anything so that i can sell the saloon mirrors once i am done!

:thumbup:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
So...you bought 2 mirror sets, and want to put the good glass onto the good housing?

IF I remember right, the glass is simply held on with adhesive. Heat it up, put it off, attach to good housing.

If the housing doesn't have any of the internals, then you've got more serious work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes and no. bought 2 housing sets the 1st set was from a saloon and it wasnt until i tried to fit it and that it doesnt fit that i knew then that coupe and saloons have different mirrors (even though the mirror was advertised as a coupe) i now have a coupe mirror and wish to swap the housing over (thereby giving me a correct colour and mirror)

when i say swap mirror i mean swap the whole thing mirror housing everything.

so i have a blue coupe mirror (whole wing mirror)
and
a silver saloon mirror (whole wing mirror)

so i want to take off the blue housing and the silver housing and swap them round...does that make sense now? it's not the glass i want to change but the coloured back part of the wing mirror

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Ah. Gotcha. You just wanna change that little colored piece on the leading edge.

My dad did me a courtesy and knocked the piece off the mirror on my E39. :mad: That caat used me a ton of frustration, resulting in me being pissed and ditching him for the rest of the day :rofl:. Was very similar looking, so probably secured similarly. It's held on by plastic tabs all round it. You'll need to be real careful with them or they'll snap, but it should just pop off as you release the tabs.

You might try removing the glass and holder, though, and see if that gives you a good view. Per the Bentley, if you pry from the bottom of the glass it will remove the glass. There are then 4 screws to remove the motorized holder unit. You might be able to just switch out this whole unit with the other mirrors, or you might be able to see about how to get that colored piece off.

Best of luck either way!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the other half did it the ham fisted way and managed to break 3 out of 4 of the little plastic clips! luckily he started on the blue one as a test!!

and on these ones the glass is held on by clips and removing the glass does not give a view of the back of the clips at all!!

cheers for your help though :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts