BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am looking for another car and have always liked the body style of the E38. I have always owned either honda/acura, so I am new to the bmw. The help I need is someone explaining the difference between the 740i, 740iA, 740i sport, 740iL, and 740iL sport. I understand that it is trim levels and the sports have different suspension. Other than trim is there any difference? Interior, engine, etc.? I have looked for the answer but have not found much out. I am asking about 00-01 years. Also I see a lot of them for sale that say they are sports but they have chrome trim? I thought a true sport had black trim? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
682 Posts
All 740s are automatic, unless someone has installed something else.

The i is the 6" shorter version of the iL.

The sport has different seats, different transmission (Steptronic) with a +/- switch instead of the A/M switch of the 740i, and many call it the 'shorty sporty'. Many have what is called a shadowline trim, where all the chrome above the doors is blacked out. Also normally comes with M pars (special rims, staggered tires, thin in front, fat in back). Wood trim is also a different color. Steering wheel is a different shape.

The dead giveaway is the Steptronic transmission and the articulating front seats.

The 4.0 is the 8 cylinder. the 5.0 (750) is a 12 cylinder.

The iL is a boat, with most of the room in the back seat.

jake

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that helps out a lot. I am looking at getting a i sport, i just wanted to make sure i knew what to look for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts