BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
If this is for a 2006 750Li...you're on the wrong forum. Inquire on the e65/e66 7 series forum. You have a completely different communication bus system vs the old generation e38 7 series.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I have 2 Bimmers...a 2001 740 il and a 2006 750 li. This post is for the 2001 E38. The radio cuts in and out and the car horn quits working simultaneously

·
Registered
595 Posts
Navigation unit is the usual supect when the radio quits working it's probably a MK3 not worth fixing. The quickest way to know is find a friend and exchange unit to see if thats it ......then buy a MKIV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Setconstr, Thank you for your feedback. What's weird is the car horn also quits working at the same time the radio quits. Ocean Driver said it may be the iggy switch. I have two tracks to follow. I'll probably have to purchase both since I don't know of anyone who has either. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you OceanDriver86. Did you recommend the ignition switch because both the horn and radio quit working simultaneously? It's sporadic but when one quits the other does too. Setconstr suggested the nav unit may be the problem. Do you know if it also causes the horn to quit working? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
...both the horn and radio quit working simultaneously? It's sporadic but when one quits the other does too. ...
Roblov..click the link the Mayor posted in his reply. The horn & radio issue is a classic failing ignition switch indicator. Do the sun visor test to see if you can get the weird electrical gremlins to replicate themselves.

Also, do a youtube search for "failing ignition switch by homeraass"...this is a video uploaded by Edwin who goes further than just the visor test...he goes on to show how to replace the switch itself.

And update your vehicle info by adding the e38 or create a signature that includes both so that forum members know how to address your posts. :)

EDIT: here's Edwin's video which goes further into showing how to replace the ignition switch:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You nailed it QuickSilver7 and MayorChuck. I think you have solved my dilemma as to whether it is the Nav unit or the ignition switch that is causing the horn and radio to simultaneously quit working. I gave this car to my 16 year old granddaughter to drive and will check it out and get back to you. Thank you both for helping me solve my problem. And to everyone else who weighed in on the issue. You all are awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts