Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven an E38 for the last 11 years (95, 00, 01, 99). My current daily driver is 99 740iL with 145K miles. I decided I wanted to try an E39 and I have always wanted a wagon. So, I bought a 2002 525i Wagon. It was cheap and relatively low miles 114K. I gave it a chance and drove it for 3 weeks. I even took it on a 600 mile trip. It performed fine. It has needed more repairs than I expected (may be more like delayed maintenance). In fact, it has been more expensive than my E38. I had to bring it back to the shop for something and decided to drive my E38 again.

Oh boy that was a mistake. I LOVE MY E38. Everything about it fits me better, feels better, etc. I don't think I can go back to an E39. So, here is my question. E38s are getting SO hard to find. I found a couple of them advertised with 50K miles and they want $20K for them. Unless I am willing to shell out $4-5000 when my timing chain guides eventually go, I am going to have to find another e38 that has had TCG done or I'm going to have to go to a different car.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has struggled with this. Is there a good replacement for the E38 that feels and performs as well or close? Are the much newer 5 series a decent replacement? (The E39 is TOO SMALL for me) I would love a much newer 7 series, but I don't think I can afford it. Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Ditto what oldroller said. Unless you go to another 7 series (or its equivalent in another marque)...the experience is not going to be the same.

Several of us old e38 owners have run into each other on the f06 six series gran coupe forums...and we all have basically said the same thing. As nice as the newer 5 & 6 series models are...there is something that the older e38 7 series (especially the LWB {long wheel base}) has that these models don't.

The 7 series has an inherent advantage which is its wheel base length...nothing can compensate for this in the way that it handles or absorbs road imperfections and irregularities. Just like a large ship or yacht will always feel better on calm or rougher water than a smaller boat. Then the 7 is also quieter...and the V12s come with the insulated glass that adds to the quiet ambience that the additional sound absorbing padding. Then there's the back seat of the LWB e38 (or other 7 series) that just blows every other BMW model out of the water in regards to comfort...especially on a long highway journey.

Again, a newer generation BMW 5, 6, or X5 may have some really nice interiors, upgraded technology, and great lighting etc...but they still don't have that special something the 7 series have...even the older e38. Then the newer generation 7 series have their issues (the bangle butt, the n62/n62tu/n63 engine issues)...so until you can find a 7 series that you like or can deal with...as nice as the other BMW models are...they will probably fall slightly short of that feeling you get behind the wheel of your e38. :)

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,813 Posts
You already have an iL so find a 750 and you wont have to worry about TCG, same car except engine (and possibly suspension setup).

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant

1 - 4 of 4 Posts