BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First post. Sorry if duplicate, but I searched and could not find an answer to this specific question.

Just bought a 2000 540i 6-speed. I would like to upgrade the tail lights. I found a 2001 parts car at a local junk yard. Does anyone know if this is a straightforward swap? I know some of the later e39s had LEDs which required voltage regulators, ballasts, etc...and I don't really want to get into all that. I'm just looking for a simple, straightforward swap to update the look of the car.

Thanks in advance! The forum has already been a great help in DIY replacement of the windshield rubber seal.

C.

Attachments

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,697 Posts
Though other methods including an updated LCM, adapters and retrofit programming exist, the most common upgrade requires ballasts and to drill/shape your rear tail light sheet metal to accommodate the CELIS tails from 2001 or higher.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.

OK, I somewhat suspected that answer.

Turner has a non-LED clear lens set for 97-00. It's plug and play. Looks like I'll go that way.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I just purchased a set of tail lights for a 2003, and I have a 2000 do i need to get a retro fit kit? If i do where can i get one?

·
Registered
705 Posts
First post. Sorry if duplicate, but I searched and could not find an answer to this specific question.

Just bought a 2000 540i 6-speed. I would like to upgrade the tail lights. I found a 2001 parts car at a local junk yard. Does anyone know if this is a straightforward swap? I know some of the later e39s had LEDs which required voltage regulators, ballasts, etc...and I don't really want to get into all that. I'm just looking for a simple, straightforward swap to update the look of the car.

Thanks in advance! The forum has already been a great help in DIY replacement of the windshield rubber seal.

C.
Soooo....getting back to this '01 parts car, I don't suppose it would have the stubby antenna on the back window would it??? Car wash ate mine and I've been looking for a replacement for months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So... I didn't think to look here first, but I have a '99 540i. I blew the engine and recently had a dealer friend buy me a wrecked '03 540i at an insurance auction. I'm planning to strip everything I can from the newer one and one thing I thought would be pretty simple was the tail lights. I drilled holes and took a hammer to the mounts and got them to fit flush, but I didn't know about needing ballasts or anything extra... I saw that the connectors were different, but I thought I'd just be able to splice the wires and call it a day. Has anyone done the upgrade to an actual set of the newer factory tail lights? What other parts would I need from the '03 in order to make it work?

S/N hit me about any parts you might need... Front end is smashed, but suspension, automatic transmission and pretty much everything but the engine is available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts