BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm new to this, I do have a problem and hope someone can help me: I changed the original rear lights to the 2003 rear lights everything works except for the brake lights on both sides signals work back up works and the brake light on the rear window works its just the brake lights on the new lights how can i fix this PLEASE HELP

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our E39 5 Series forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim

·
Registered
102 Posts
2003 facelift tail lights have LED. 2000 taillights do not. You need the ballast or celis upgrade kit in order to make it work. There are lots of write ups about this.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
A few things to verify first
1) did the brake lights work before the swap, i.e. the brake pedal switch is good, the LCM is good, the circuit (wiring & plugs) is good?
2) are you sure that both brake light bulbs in the new assy are good?
3) I can't recall offhand if there was a change in plug configuration from old style to new. Did the car side plug fit the new light assy without any issue? Do the wires in the plug match up with the pins on the light assy side.
4) does the instrument cluster have a warning that brake lights are inop? It should & if not it is suggestive.
5) have you tried removing the bulbs from the holders and checking for corrosion, even a light film can cause problems. People have reported issues with the brass base bulbs. Shiny silver bases (of nickel) have better results. Sometimes simply removing and reinserting bulbs clears the problem.
6) absolutely nothing else changed or repaired at the same time, even if it doesn't seem related?
7) are you certain that the 2003 assy's you swapped in were fully working before the swap?

Some of the questions are pretty basic. I don't mean to be insulting but with 1 post, no one here has any idea of you knowledge and skill. Some posters turn up with barely enough knowledge to unlock the car and start the engine.

FYI for this and problems in the future, try searching this thread for ideas. The vast majority of issues on E39s have been discussed.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165198

Anyway, report back & someone is likely to have a suggestion, or two.

Last, could you please use a little punctuation to make sentences. It makes it much easier to read & understand symptoms and actions you've taken.

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
I'm interested in doing this too. Could you write up what you've done to get this far?
Google search would be best. There were at least a couple online tutorials on how to do so....it's been a decade, so cross fingers they are still archived somewhere....

You will have to trim the openings slightly to fit, as well, you should order new foam gaskets to ensure a water tight fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts