BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E39 528i 1998 Traction Control Light is On

5791 7
I have a 1998 528i, which I currently replaced the master cylinder and the brake booster. After replacing these two parts the Traction control light has been on, constantly, indicating that the traction control is shutoff.

I have pressed the ASC button trying to see if it would make a difference, and nothing happens. At this point I can not get my traction control to work.

Any advice on what this may be?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Did you disconnect connector to the throttle body? The very top connector. The ASC light will stay on if that is not connected.
@ Acoste ---- No, I did not unplug the connector..... Is there anything that might cause this problem?
Did you disconnect connector to the throttle body? The very top connector. The ASC light will stay on if that is not connected.
Have same conditions w/ my 98' 528i. Noticed a broken cable (see attached) but don't know if related?

Attachments

It is. The bowden cable going from the throttle actuator to the secondary throttle valve for ASC is broken so the computer has no control over it any more. (It can not reduce engine torque any more)
Very interesting so thats what moves and makes that mechanical noise when i insert my key into position 2.
Put the key in position 1 then say abdacadabra 5X turn the key off, the ASC light should go away.
If that didn't work then repeat the procedure but this time the key is at position 2.
Did you find out what's causing the lights to be on? Indy replaced my master cylinder and now my traction, brake and abs lights are on.......
@ Acoste ---- No, I did not unplug the connector..... Is there anything that might cause this problem?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.