BIRKE GELB
OLIV
ARIZONA SUN
ENGLISCHROT

Need to purchase a new: WOODEN COVER F RADIO FLAP

·
Registered
255 Posts
Take the one above the glove box off. If you look on the backside you should see a sticker with the color name.
FYI, there are four attachment points to this thing - nothing screwed, just pushed in. Starting from the center the first one is about 2 inches from the left edge. Get a nylon interior trim tool, or something similar and slide it under the trim from the bottom to pry it off. Once you have the first one, it's easy to get the others.

·
Registered
317 Posts
PAPPEL NATUR
EIBE CLUB
PLATANE
BIRKE ANTHRAZIT
BIRKE BLAU
BIRKE GELB
OLIV
ARIZONA SUN
ENGLISCHROT

Need to purchase a new: WOODEN COVER F RADIO FLAP
Just a quick warning though - BMW re-uses part numbers for its interior trim (including shift knobs) depending on the model year. For example, on my 1998 540, a particular part number was printed on the trim piece and the color was "X." Reordering the exact same part number from the dealer now gets a trim piece with color "Y." Same p/n, different trim color. The metalic/titantium ones vary substantially year to year. The wood ones do too although not as much. You may have to order 2-3 to get a close match. I gave up and ended up getting an entire trim set (used on e-bay, not new from dealer) rather than trying to replace one piece at a time. Good luck.

Psi 5

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a quick warning though - BMW re-uses part numbers for its interior trim (including shift knobs) depending on the model year. For example, on my 1998 540, a particular part number was printed on the trim piece and the color was "X." Reordering the exact same part number from the dealer now gets a trim piece with color "Y." Same p/n, different trim color. The metalic/titantium ones vary substantially year to year. The wood ones do too although not as much. You may have to order 2-3 to get a close match. I gave up and ended up getting an entire trim set (used on e-bay, not new from dealer) rather than trying to replace one piece at a time. Good luck.

Psi 5
Thank you, when I "pop-it-off" I guess I'll know. BTW: How much was the whole trim set (ballpark figure)? I will eventually need it here with he FL sunshine. :))

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thank you, when I "pop-it-off" I guess I'll know. BTW: How much was the whole trim set (ballpark figure)? I will eventually need it here with he FL sunshine. :))
It is foolish to buy the whole trim set. These cars are plentiful in salvage yards and these parts go for about 10% of list price. Several good carbon fiber shops will refinish your interior trim with premium carbon fiber in the shade of your choice for less than 1/2 the cost of new. Scratches, chips and cracks are fixed for free before applying the carbon. It really makes these cars look sporty.

·
Fibrenew Guy in Raleigh
601 Posts
Another tip - be careful pulling that piece off. You may try a smaller piece instead. When pulling mine off, it cracked in a few places and I had to replace it. It appears that the newer pieces are more reinforced where the metal backing is (the piece is mostly metal and only a small sliver of wood). Take your time and be careful.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the carbon fiber look the same? Pictures?

The junkyard idea is probably the better idea - I agree. Now I just have to go find one...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I replaced my whole set for about 750. I ordered from Vaheh at Crevier, but he is no longer there. The wood in 540's is typically called Nussbaum (Walnut).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts