BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E39 540i Total - PICS

1213 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Modzilla's_5er
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Dang - that sucks, bro.

-Mark
Highend said:
Did they total it? unless the frame was bent, that doesn't seem so bad. Not to say that it doesn't suck- I mean, it DOES.. but it doesnt look like over 10 grand. Though I guess if they use that 80% of value thing (or whatever it is) they may get it close enough to total. If they DO total it, what has your eye? Another E39?

It is great that you and your passengers were unhurt. That's the most important thing.

And, to risk being insensitive- I want the black interior! :bigpimp:
Sorry about your car...one thing I couldn't tell from the pics, were your airbags deployed.

I do not know if this is true, but I heard that even with body damage similar to yours where in some cases the car wouldn't be totaled, it comes down to the added cost of replacing the airbag system that labels it totaled.
glad your ok :thumbup: crap happens. I know, it happened to me. But hey, look on the bright side, you could get a new car that you'll like even more !

PropellerHead said:
it doesnt look like over 10 grand.
Looks easily over a $10k. $6-$7k in parts, then there's labor, paint, alignment check, and whatever is off in the suspention. I'd say expect $17-$20 and it'll be like new or however it was before the accident. Looks iffy if they're going to call it a total loss :dunno: but hey, I'm no insurance adjuster. I'd hope they total it, for your benefit :thumbup:

you've got great stuff to part out, doors are perfect from what I see, unless there's a bit of flex that got to them. the interior, trunk, side skirts, and plenty under the hood :thumbup:
On my '96 VW Jetta it was going to cost nearly $3000 to do the two front airbags. That was half the price of the repair and pretty much made it a total.

Airbags are darn pricey.
Nyahhhh I replaced most of those parts for WAY less than 6K:

If he's a '98 and the bill gets to 14K, they'll total it.

I worked in a body shop for some time and my dad owned one for about ten years. I'm no pro, but maybe I'm not thinking retail.

His biggest problem is not the parts and labor, it's the frame. Looks like he was off center when he hit the wall. Highend- how is the panel alignment opposite the impact? Like the all around the right rear door? Do you see a crease in the paint along the rear quater panel? How about the sunroof? Aligned from what you can tell?
ketchup said:
Looks easily over a $10k. $6-$7k in parts, then there's labor, paint, alignment check, and whatever is off in the suspention. I'd say expect $17-$20 and it'll be like new or however it was before the accident. Looks iffy if they're going to call it a total loss :dunno: but hey, I'm no insurance adjuster. I'd hope they total it, for your benefit :thumbup:
When they look at a cost to total, do they base it at retail, wholesale or what the car would get at auction?
Doesn't it depend on what they'd pay you? If it's replacement value that they'd pay- like retail, then I think they'd use that. If they reimburse wholesale, then that's the figure.

Not sure, though. :dunno:
crete said:
When they look at a cost to total, do they base it at retail, wholesale or what the car would get at auction?
ooh what kinda tires are those ? looks like the yokahama es but the tread doesn't look 100%

Those figures were just based on my past experiences, if your in that line of work then I'd go with your estimate :thumbup:.

It cost $11k for the rear bumper, hatch (no glass), rear quarter panels, tire well, and exhaust (It was a pretty long list of parts but these were the main ones) of my 02' rx300 and he's got more damage on a more expensive car so I just :dunno: hehe. Are you local ? On the BMW I've got this indent on the rear L quater panel that needs some attention :D.
PropellerHead said:
the rear quater panel is not alligned. the trunk overlaps the tail lights. The rear suspension is shifted and the front suspension is also dropped. so i am guessing there is frame damage.
here you go Alex.

now everyone don't have to head over to another place, look at the picture, then come back here to post a comment. yes, it is on my server if anyone's wondering.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a shame such a Beauty is torn up..... :bawling:
I don't suppose you have wide screen nav in that car. If so I might be interested in those parts. :thumbup:
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.